Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 265 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,477 Posts
Under the USA model, is Amazon Prime Video and Amazon Prime (The one with Free 2 Day shipping) the same package or 2 different entities?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, they can.

How to? (In the US)
Step 1: Download the free Amazon Instant Video app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
Step 2: Sign in with your Amazon Prime subscription ID.
Step 3: Search for your favorite content or browse the limitless catalog and find the perfect movie for your mood.
Step 4: Start the movie and click on the AirPlay icon (displayed in the lower right) -> choose Apple TV.

·
Registered
930 Posts
So there is no real AppleTV app? And there is a Roku App? That's hilarious. The solution is as cumbersome as Chromecasting. The thing that made me cancel Shomi the first time around was the lack of a Roku app. That's also the reason I've never tried CraveTV.

·
Registered
458 Posts
sounds interesting about prime. may have a look at it. but I hate Windows and only have it on one computer for games only.

The reason i do not use CRAVE and did not use SHOMI was they did not work under Linux.
Netflix works thru Chrome on Linux (Mint) .. is Amazon prime HTML5 or still stuck in stone age using Flash and Silverlight?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, the Amazon Prime App for Roku and the lack of Shomi and Crave TV apps were developed in different countries. Currently, I was able to download the Amazon Prime App on my Roku by tricking my Roku into thinking I was American. But yes, it does exist on Roku.

Pretty sure the App is HTML5, but have only used it on my Roku so can't say 100 percent.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
OK so when can I get Amazon prime? I have Prime on Amazon.ca, looked at the web site this morning and no mention of the tv service. Also, if I can't get it on my Roku Stick I am not interested either. Don't mind paying for it, don't care what happens on Amazon US, just want it in Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
267 Posts
I checked out amazon.ca this morning too and I couldn't find anything mentioned about Amazon Prime Video either. You can sign into Amazon.com with the same email as Amazon.ca and password and watch a few Amazon Prime Orginals like those stated in the picture I've shared, but besides that I can't find anything that says you can watch more then that yet without the use of a proxy that works. Canada is still lacking apps so it definitely can't be downloaded on your Roku Stick with your Canadian Roku account as of now.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
So there is no real AppleTV app? And there is a Roku App? That's hilarious. The solution is as cumbersome as Chromecasting. The thing that made me cancel Shomi the first time around was the lack of a Roku app. That's also the reason I've never tried CraveTV.
Not true at all. There is no Canadian app for Amazon Prime Video as well on Roku. The app is available on both Roku and Apple (mobile devices) only when accessing American location using proxy.
Hopefully it will be released soon in Canada both on Roku and Apple TV.

·
Registered
930 Posts
So it looks like Bell's claim that Prime Video Canada would launch today was not accurate. I guess the info they give the CRTC is as truthful as the info their CSR's give their customers.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Actually if I am not mistaken there is still no Prime Time Video app for Apple TV in the states and in Canada.
However there is an app for mobile devices in the American Apple Store, so my statement in the quote is still correct.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
For now I have given up on Amazon Prime Video. It has been working good for the last week on my one month free trial offer but now it is completely dead. Will be cancelling my free trial offer today so I will not get charged for one year.
Most likely I will not be considering it in the future. Prefer Crave tv over poor selection on Prime video.

21 - 40 of 265 Posts