Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

261 - 280 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
@Square1 the problem with that is that the DVD rental model had built-in restrictions where you could only rent 2 at a time (or so). There was time to mail them that slowed you down. So the average person probably rented 10 per month for the fixed price. Would you take a streaming service that limited you to X number of movies per month? Hollywood would want a good cut of this action so the service would probably have to be $40 per month at least.

Would it be great? Absolutely.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
It's already available. Just subscribe to every streaming service that in existence. As for the price, just add them all up, $26 + $13 + $8 + $8 +++. As for having "all movies," no DVD rental service had that. Zip had a very good selection but there were missing titles. In addition, Zip was very slow in shipping new or popular titles. I could get new releases almost right away from other sources. More often than not, popular titles wouldn't be shipped by Zip until they became available on TMN or some other movie channel. It was useless for new titles.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Streaming with amazon is great except for saturday and sunday evenings these days. My internet is humming along but my amazon videos are low res or pausing intermittently. Other services have not done that yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My wife and I have been watching Season 3 of the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Apple TV into a LG HDTV.

For some reason it won’t let us watch episodes 7 and 8. We can watch anything else we want on Prime no problem.
Did anyone ever get back to you on this question? I hope so.....because that WAS such a great series....and it sounds like you SHOULDN'T have had the problems you encountered.
:-(

·
Registered
935 Posts
I wrote this before, I need to write it again as now we rely on streaming services more.

I find it quite annoying that Prime Video does not allow creation of different profiles under one account. Netflix does it, Disney+ does it, CraveTV does it, I do not know why Prime Video does not. With the current setup, my watch list is mixed with those of my wife's and my children's. It is annoying enough that I cannot see only my shows, I have to sort through theirs as well.

What is more annoying is if we watch the same show. The stopping point of a show or an episode is ruined if somebody else watches it. So if I watch a show, then stop for a while, then somebody else watches it, I will lose where I am supposed to continue. On top of those, what is the most annoying thing is that the feature of creating profiles is available in Prime Video in the United States. For some reason beyond my comprehension it is not available in Canada.

Oh, did I write it was annoying?

·
Super Moderator
17,491 Posts
Amazon Prime will begin carrying all 92 episodes of Mad Men in Canada on October 1 and in other countries on various dates. The series will also return to AMC on that date. (Deadline) Super Channel will have the exclusive Canadian rights from July 1 to October 1. Netflix decided not to renew its agreement, which expired June 9.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Was watching David and Olivia which only has 3 episodes per season.
The second season apparently has 5 episodes but Prime only has 3 so it leaves you stuck with no way of knowing how it ends.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Hercules130

Reason ...money money money money and we Canadians take it...just set up another account! ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
re: David and Olivia - from IMDB trivia - Episode 4 - "Despite an August 2018 release date, the episode has still not released.". And there's absolutely no info about the 2 missing episodes - plot, etc.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@andyk,
thanks for that bit of information, guess we're all doomed to imagine our own ending.
Still, would have been good to know before starting the first episode.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Was watching David and Olivia which only has 3 episodes per season.
The second season apparently has 5 episodes but Prime only has 3 so it leaves you stuck with no way of knowing how it ends.
Probably to do with COVID-19. The last episode of The Blacklist I saw had some animated sequences because they couldn't finish it due to social distancing requirements. So those episofdes are probably still on the back burner waiting to be fi nished.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Radioactive, an Amazon Studios movie about Marie Curie starring Rosamund Pike, is scheduled to premiere on Prime Video USA on July 24. I looked onto Prime Video Canada, there is no information whatsoever about the movie.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@oldyellr,
According to IMDb, the last two episodes had a release date for August 2018 but still have not been released.
Maybe they just ran out of money or inspiration. Still find it strange that anyone would show an incomplete season without any warnings.
It's too bad really as it was quite interesting and entertaining and an easy way to use up 20 minutes or so per episode.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I find it quite annoying that Prime Video does not allow creation of different profiles under one account.
Noticed they Prime Video added multiple profiles in their apps recently. Finally.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm seeing the profiles on my iPad and know somebody else that has it on their Android tablet. I haven't checked the build in TV app on my Vizio yet as I'm the primary so it is always me anyway.

On the iPad if you click "My Suff" on the bottom right you can then click on your name in the top left which will give you the option to add new profiles.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wanting to add that I just checked the web version for Prime Video and I'm also seeing the multi-profiles in the top right corner.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm seeing the profiles on my iPad and know somebody else that has it on their Android tablet. I haven't checked the build in TV app on my Vizio yet as I'm the primary so it is always me anyway.

On the iPad if you click "My Suff" on the bottom right you can then click on your name in the top left which will give you the option to add new profiles.
Maybe it's a 'rollout' thing. In "My Stuff" I do not see my name and no option to add profiles. I'm on version 8.90.5460.14 of the iPad app according to the settings.

Even on the web I don't see anything about profiles.

It's moot for me since I don't need multiple profiles but I'm curious.

261 - 280 of 310 Posts