Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beware of Amazon Fishing E-mails!!

I received one today. It stated I bought something from Amazon and was going to be shipped to BC? I don'rt live in BC or did I order anything? When I tried to use the confirmation number nothing came up. So I called Amazon and explained everything to the woman I was speaking to. She told me it was a fishing e-mail and that they had several 100 of these in the last few days and Amazon was looking into it. She also helped me cancel my Prime Video account. She told me to delete my Amazon account and create a new one to be safe.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Not sure why you would have to cancel your Amazon account if you did not enter your Amazon password anywhere. You do check every link/domain you're accessing before entering any passwords, right?

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't log in, just tried using the con number but no results, so called Amazon. There the ones that said it was fake and to delete my Amazon account just to be safe?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
That's pretty bad advice if all you got was a common phishing email and didn't enter any login credentials. You lose your purchasing history and access to any Kindle purchases if Amazon doesn't transfer the purchases to the new account. It's a rare week that I don't get phishing emails for my Amazon/Apple/Paypal/Microsoft/bank/etc. accounts. Most are caught by spam filters. Those that aren't - ignore and delete.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
yes I also agree its terrible advice. the guy did clearly did not know what a phishing scam was or how it works

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
There are some really scary phishing emails that come my way. If I cancelled my accounts each time I would have renewed almost everything I do online multiple times Credit cards, paypal, amazon, etc. etc. Just do not click on stuff/links. Go to sites independantly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts