·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So $489 vs $259 for Kindle gives you 2.5 times the screen area.

Import fees on Kindle are about $30, no word yet on import fees for the DX

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well, despite my post in the previous section, I have pre-ordered a DX. A friend wants to buy my Sony PRS-505, so that offsets the cost some. I didn't expect the DX to become available for many more months.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks like it would be nicer for illustrations / newspapers.

OTW I actually like the smaller form factor of the little kindle better for portability.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a DX for my son hopefully it will reduce the weight of all the books in his back pack. I'll keep the compact edition for myself.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what I want but am not prepared to pay over $500 U.S. I'm hopeful that all the new ereaders coming out this year and will drive down prices. Add to that a huge increase in volumes and potentially the cost of production will be slashed significantly.

Also hope the iSlate or whatever it will be called might cause Amazon to reduce pricing.

For me, I think around $300 is the tipping point.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm still sitting on the fence on e readers. I'll wait to see how the new Irex, Que and Apple models compare. I like the idea of the larger screen though. Makes them more suitable for newspapers & magazines as well as books.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
After using the mini me version for over a month I think I am willing to spend the current price to get the bigger one as a second unit in the house.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I've actually found that the iPod touch makes a pretty decent ebook reader

the pocketable size is just so convenient, and being able to pull from the library on my fileserver via wifi is just unbeatable

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm still sitting on the fence on e readers. I'll wait to see how the new Irex, Que and Apple models compare. I like the idea of the larger screen though. Makes them more suitable for newspapers & magazines as well as books.
Still on the fence but, after seeing the ipad and a few of the others & especially trying a couple in person. I'm thinking the kindle 2 might be the best bet for the following reasons:

1: long battery life.
2: probably easier on the eyes due to the e-ink screen.
3: easier to carry around (can fit in a jacket pocket).
4: no monthly charges for wireless.

However, despite all this a paperback is still tough to beat & easy to lend!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a Kindle 3 for my girlfriend for Xmas. She's used my Sony Reader, and really likes the ereader form. I've been using the Kindle app on various devices and love the synch capabilities.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I bought a DX for my wife for her birthday this past summer and she totally loves it. I often tease her about not being able to read in the dark (a la my iPad), but she just scoffs. (And she's the original Apple fan in our house).
I've asked a few times if she would have preferred the smaller one, but she says NO WAY!

I think the thing she likes the most is the ability to read .pdfs full-screen with full formatting intact.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can you explain a bit? Too big? Too heavy? I have been considering one for myself.
Yes sorry, If you will be just using it around the house it is fine (DX). But the idea of these units is portability. Going on vacation, lying in bed and such. The DX in bed is awkward to use. Power consumption is higher on the DX and as for font size both are scalable. An yes it is heavier. The DX is a wonderful reader but after using both units I just see no need for the size, much higher price, and weight.All that size adds to pressure on the arm when holding it on a corner (over time). A woman can fit the Kindle 3 in her handbag. I wear pants (at work) with pockets on the leg. The 3 fit in them not the DX. Your reading experience is the same on both. Just smaller form factor. It also does pdf just as good as the DX of note both units need to be turned sideways to get the best out of pdf. DX auto rotates the 3 you must select.

Again my opinion and I have owned both not just one. Also of note the Kindle leather case with light is great and lets me read in bed while the wife sleeps. The same cover for the DX would not light the lower left corner very well (same light on both units).

Of important note. I had that DX latest generation as soon as they came out I used it for a while and they charged me 20% return on it. On the Kindle 3 I have already read at least 6 books on it. So I am actually familiar with both. So again DX great for sitting at a table reading, Kindle 3 great for that and everywhere else. Just need to turn the page more often on the Kindle 3 and that is not a major issue, we are talking a button here and page turns are under a second (my guess not timed).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts