Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Amazon Firestick

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a few firesticks and absolutely love them! I have noticed, however, that with a few apps (Netflix, prime video) that every 4-5 seconds, the video "stutters." Once you notice it, it ruins trying to watch something. I have tried changing the video resolution in the settings menu from math the original to 1080 p 60H to 720P 60H. I even switched it to 24h but nothing seems to work. It happens on two of the firesticks so I don't think this is a problem with the sticks. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Mike

#6 ·
So it seems as though its an issue with my 2 non 4K sticks. I moved my 4K stick upstairs and in the 4K display settings you can match refresh rate to source. Everything works well with this setting. I returned my 2 non 4K sticks. Thanks for chiming in everyone!

#7 ·
Different issue, but can't see how to start a new thread!

Just had Fibe installed. On two TVs, have Bell Fibe TV app installed. That works fine. Problem is with the Alexa voice commands. They will not work when trying tune to a different channel. For example, "Tune to CNN" Alexa says she doesn't know how. Same on all channels.
On main TV with Bell Fibe TV box, channels can be changed using voice on the supplied remote.

Anyone know how to get the Firestick remote to change Fibe TV app channels?

#8 ·
Different issue, but can't see how to start a new thread!

Just had Fibe installed. On two TVs, have Bell Fibe TV app installed. That works fine. Problem is with the Alexa voice commands. They will not work when trying tune to a different channel. For example, "Tune to CNN" Alexa says she doesn't know how. Same on all channels.
On main TV with Bell Fibe TV box, channels can be changed using voice on the supplied remote.

Anyone know how to get the Firestick remote to change Fibe TV app channels?
Fibe Tv is only integrated with Google Assistant, possibly only fully on the vip7802 box and partially on the Streamer released in 2020 (STI6130)

#11 ·
I had seen that, but there is a problem!
The Starter TV package cost is $25.00. Then add 10 channels for $26.00. So $51.00. But then Bell site states that on top of that a Bell Whole Home PVR is required, rented at $15/month. So now up to $66.00/month vs the $60 we are paying for "Better".

Not sure if Golf channel could be added to "Good", but if so that would be $76+4=$80/month less any promo. No way to determine change in the promo on-line, but I suppose it might be worth asking!

Does anyone know if the announced increase of $5/month in internet charges also applies to TV service?

#12 ·
I've done similar cost calculations and reached the same conclusions. One might think that Bell is snubbing their nose at the CRTC by making its mandated Starter TV package too expensive when compared to other options. Bell is probably also using monolithic TV packaging to prop up their own TV channels and associated revenue. I believe the Golf Channel can be added to the Good package but that may affect the promotional prices.

#15 ·
That’s the real full price when customers don’t bundle with Internet, and it seems Fibe tv app won’t have full functionality under this standalone plan.

That’s for sure. Any amount of alc channels without sports shouldn’t value more than $5/mo, cause that’s the price Quebec customers get after negotiating.

#17 ·
I reset my Fire Stick 4K to factory defaults. When it came back up it had a new interface. It was called Silk and looked like the Amazon store home page, which it likely was. That was totally unexpected. I didn't log in because the device had been sold. I cannot say what it looked like after logging in but it appears that the Fire Stick home page is now a big promotion for shopping at the Amazon store.