Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
A quick update: I just realized that my Fire TV Stick was connecting to 5G wireless network, which worked perfect in the old, but not so much in the new location. I thought I changed it to 2.4 GHz in the settings, but it looks like I was wrong. Today I checked the settings, and it was connected to 5 Ghz. Since my 5 GHz signal sometimes goes over 60 dBm (close to 70) in this room, that may have been my only problem. I changed it to 2.4 GHz (typically between 45-50 dBm) and it seems to be running steady now, without any glitches. I still think that these wifi antennas are not the best they could be, but this may just work. :smile

·
Registered
495 Posts
And one more quick update. Even using 2.4 GHz network, Fire Stick was still struggling sometimes. In the middle of watching something, it would lose connection. Everything else in the same room works without any problem, either on 5 Ghz, or 2.4 GHz network.

I purchased one of those wifi extenders (2.4 GHz only) and now Fire Stick seems to be working without any issues. The "extended" wifi signal is about 15-20 dBm stronger than the regular 2.4 GHz network. It is typically around 30-35 dBm, versus 50-ish dBm, without the boost. While even 50-60 dBm should be more than enough for smooth streaming, obviously Fire Stick needs much stronger signal. Why is that so, I don't know, but I hope I have solved the problem...unfortunately, with some more money spent.

·
Registered
495 Posts
And one more update, hopefully the final one.

Even the wifi extender I mentioned in my last post did not solve the problem. While the signal was very strong (30-35 dBm), the Firestick was still losing connection very frequently. So, I did some more research and found some useful info on the web. Apparently, Firestick only supports channels 36-48 on 5GHz, and if the router is set to auto, it seems that anytime the channel is not within this range, Firestick will automatically try to switch to 2.4 GHz, and go back to 5GHz when the channel is back to 36-48 range.

So, the recommendation was to change the 5GHz channel, from auto to anything between 36-48, and also rename the SSID of the 2.4GHz network to something different.

This whole thing did not make much sense to me (especially renaming the 2.4GHz SSID), but I decided to give it a try. It was working fine for a few days, so I returned the wifi extender, previously purchased. This was all about a month ago, or so. My Firestick still works fine on 5GHz network. Hopefully, that's it.

I still can't figure out why the Firestick worked without a flaw, a few months ago, when it was much closer to the router, without me having to change the router settings. The problems only started when I had to move it to a room with somewhat weaker wifi coverage.

I'm posting this here in hopes that this info will be useful to anybody having the same connectivity issue. Changing the 5GHz channel to 36-44, instead of auto may be the solution.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts