Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Thanks James... My folks picked up a FIRE for me in the States this week for Xmas. I was wondering how to get a workaround for north of the 49th..

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
silly question maybe tho

doesn't this kind of tether (for now at least) your usage of the Fire to your home?

Obviously you'll be able to roam around, and read books, and do a good chunk of your normal usage anywhere, but you'll definitely be tied to your home vpn (or a similar one I guess) to do the whole works

I could see that being incredibly frustrating for folks like me that are impulsive about picking up books you see, or someone tells you about over coffee

I've discovered more books this year, having coffee with friends librarian/wife this year, and this would possibly put a crimp in how I do it now (altho I'm reasonably sure I could just change methodology and accomplish same thing, it seems goofy to do so just cause of lack of content agreements here)

·
Registered
24,794 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
This was bound to happen since Amazon's whole go-to-market strategy is to have you use their ecosystem for everything so they can make money. If Fire users can circumvent the Amazon ecosystem then they have no hope of making a profit on the Fire tablet that is being sold at a loss otherwise.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
I received the update tonight and it disabled my Android Market app. Everything else was fine.

So, i re-rooted the device and re-installed the market place.

All is fine once again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Silk video

One thing I've noticed, without doing anything special at all (no vpn's no ip hiding) I have access to all the full episodes available on CBS, ABC, Nbc and fox websites. If I uncheck the "accelerate" option the sites recognize I'm in Canada and I am back to no access. Unfortunately Amazon itself does recognize I'm not in the US of course.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Well this is different since Amazon is a provider of software unlike most phone manufacturers and they prevented re-rooting using the same software.

On another note, new software came out to re-root.

The game of cat and mouse continues.

Other s/w came out that prevents the auto updating of device.

I just came back from holidays in the Dominican Republic and it was Blackberry heaven, I think I had the only Android tablet. A few Ipads and plenty of Playbooks and Blackberrys.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts