Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Does it have a microSD slot because 8GB is limiting?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not having 3G really limits streaming from the cloud. Not being able to go beyond 8GB really means this is not meant for viewing videos, photos and music playbook.

It will be interesting to see how sales go but while $199 is cheap, it doesn't seem to provide better value

With Amazon's marketing, I'm sure it will sell but I don't see it being a tablet killer

·
Registered
626 Posts
Not having 3G really limits streaming from the cloud. Not being able to go beyond 8GB really means this is not meant for viewing videos, photos and music playbook.

It will be interesting to see how sales go but while $199 is cheap, it doesn't seem to provide better value

With Amazon's marketing, I'm sure it will sell but I don't see it being a tablet killer
Hugh, do you think Amazon made a mistake trying to hit a certain price point and in doing so has crippled this device unnecessarily.

Should they have been braver and tried to challenge the tablet market with a full featured device that used Amazon's ecosystem, and possibly a better UI for Android, as the differentiating factor rather than price?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Gino, you definitely are following my line of reasoning.

My gut thinks there is no way this competes with Android tablets or the iPad so they made a mistake, however, my brains thinks maybe people just want a cheap web browser / email device and they consider the rest just bells and whistles so $199 gives you a cheap and cheerful device for the masses.

I guess we'll have to let the marketplace decide!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
For its browsing capabilities, it's definitely tempting. I could sell my iPad, buy the Fire, and still come out ahead.

I could also buy a netbook for $200, but it's not very practical when lying on the living room couch. :)

Gotta find out if I can get a review sample for my Dining Room Table Reviews video series.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Just pre-ordered one. For $199 it was a very, very easy decision.

Technical Details

Display: 7" multi-touch display with IPS (in-plane switching) technology and anti-reflective treatment, 1024 x 600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi, 16 million colors.

Size (in inches): 7.5" x 4.7" x 0.45" (190 mm x 120 mm x 11.4 mm).

Weight: 14.6 ounces (413 grams).

System Requirements: None, because it's wireless and doesn't require a computer.

On-device Storage: 8GB internal. That's enough for 80 apps, plus either 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books.

Cloud Storage: Free cloud storage for all Amazon content

Battery Life: Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as web browsing and downloading content.

Charge Time: Fully charges in approximately 4 hours via included U.S. power adapter. Also supports charging from your computer via USB.

Wi-Fi Connectivity: Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, or 802.1X standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.

USB Port: USB 2.0 (micro-B connector)

Audio 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, top-mounted stereo speakers.

Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8.

Documentation: Quick Start Guide(included in box); Kindle User's Guide (pre-installed on device)

Warranty and Service: 1-year limited warranty and service included. Optional 2-year Extended Warranty available for U.S. customers sold separately. Use of Kindle is subject to the terms found here.

Included in the Box: Kindle Fire tablet, U.S. power adapter (supports 100-240V), and Quick Start Guide.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
james99, you have a kindle or two (for book reading) plus a playbook (for email and browsing) so what is the attraction of the Fire Tablet? Are you going to dump your old kindles and playbook or carry multiple devices around?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Why do you think they are trying to compete with Apple?

Amazon is selling a very different product. They're not selling a tablet, they're just selling a medium to consume their content. Their business model is very different from Apple, or the Android manufacturers. Just as the Kindle is to Amazon's ebook service, the Kindle Fire is to their video and music streaming services. They don't want you to be able to play other content sources easily because they want to sell their own, just like you can't easily load ebooks from anyone other than Amazon onto a Kindle.

3G requires carrier partnerships, so I doubt they want to go there. If people really want 3G, and their phone won't tether, they can get a MiFi.

·
Registered
659 Posts
As mentioned by previous posters, Amazon could have done slightly more to the fire to really make it an iPad killer. Yes the price is reasonable compared to others, and yes it's lighter, but the fact it has no 3G, camera, limited place and no room for expansion, and only a few audio and video format support, might lead to it ending up like the playbook?

Like house sales, the market will dictate

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Why do you think they are trying to compete with Apple?
I'm not. As I noted earlier, this seems more like competition for low end Android tablets or high end book readers.

Its the media and blogosphere that has been going on about how the Fire was going to be an iPad killer.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
james99, you have a kindle or two (for book reading) plus a playbook (for email and browsing) so what is the attraction of the Fire Tablet? Are you going to dump your old kindles and playbook or carry multiple devices around?
It won't replace my Kindle. E-ink is something you can't compete against IMHO.

This is really for travel (commute and holidays). I now need a wifi tethering phone to pair it with. I have an "unlimited" data plan so I don't need 3g built in.

My Playbook has more muscle but less apps (though it has the basics I need).

So, when I head on holidays, I'll probably take all 3 and see what I don't use.

Three 7" devices don't take up much real estate and only the Kindle will make it to the beach.

Everybody likes to compare every new device to Apple. It's lazy journalism IMHO. Amazon is competing against colour e-readers and low end tablets. I can imagine what's happening to stocks like Barnes and Noble today.

edit: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BKS

·
Registered
626 Posts
@james99

In the specs it says that although it has WiFi it does not support ad-hoc network connections (peer-to-peer). I've been doing some research regarding this and it seems that depending on the device you may want to tether to you may be out of luck.

Some smartphones implement tethering using an ad-hoc network, others implement it using what's called 'infrastructure mode.' This will work with devices that support infrastructure mode so do your homework.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
For its browsing capabilities, it's definitely tempting. I could sell my iPad, buy the Fire, and still come out ahead.
Still got your iPad, eh? :)

At half the screen area of the iPad, I'm not sure I want to be reading magazines like National Geographic and New Scientist on the Fire. Graphic novels (ok, comic books) would be iffy too. I've got true portability covered with my iPhone. Hardcore e-book readers will miss E-ink. But I'm sure Amazon will sell a tonne of these because of the price and their name.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Still got your iPad, eh? :)
Only because I've been busy lately and haven't gotten around to selling it. Show me some cash, and I'll speed up the process. :p

Okay, I'm definitely set in reviewing the Kindle Fire. I've just posted a teaser video for a future instalment of my Dining Room Table Reviews video series.

Don't know if the petition will work, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Its funny to hear people comparing this to iPad or as an iPad killer. Its none of these. What's truly amazing about this device is the Amazon Silk browser (which supports Flash) and the free Cloud storage for their Amazon content i.e. music, movies, ebooks etc.

You don't really need 3G since watching movies over 3G is really inefficient. Its better over WiFi. If you want 3G, you can get the other Kindle (non-color) option. Maybe the next version might have a 3G option for a few more dollars. But 3G, 4G or LTE, it really does not matter. This just makes it cost more, and that's not the goal. IMO, the goal is to sell this device at a really low price point to get market penetration that will access their Cloud services for the Amazon content, which is where their revenue is.

You don't need more flash memory but it could have allowed people to add more content locally via memory cards etc. But 8G is okay as a start. But the intent really is for people to use Amazon's Cloud service and realize the potential of using the Cloud to do many applications that people would not normally use it for.

By utilizing the EC2 servers, the end users do not need a device with a powerful CPU/GPU or have massive flash memory to run apps like gaming, streaming movies, listening to movies, browsing large graphically intensive web sites etc. Essentially "storing" your Amazon content e.g. movies, music on their EC2 servers.

The servers are like keeping track of your DRM licensing on the Amazon content you've bought. Unless you are thinking of storing it locally on your 8GB flash. But I would ask why the need to store it on your local device when you can access this anyways for free in your Cloud storage as long as you have WiFi access? If you don't have WiFi, usually one would not be storing massive amounts of movies on one's own smartphone anyways. Maybe only one or two. Don't forget this is a portable tablet and not a NAS device.

The EC2 servers does all the work, and reduces the latencies and only needs to send the converted images or gaming video to the device (via WiFi). All the heavy GPU/CPU is processed off-site and rendered on the EC2 servers and passed to the end-user's device.

I think Kindle Fire is an amazing product introducing a very interesting feature in the Silk browser and other apps utilizing Cloud services for all types of media. Really cool and at a great affordable price point.

21 - 40 of 111 Posts