Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
If they had priced it down to the magic $99 point I might be all over this. However I'm still very happy with my Kobo.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I can't imagine I would be willing to put up with ads for $25. I hope this gets them in more peoples hands but I don't think they will get many takers.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
IMHO, if it has ads, it should be free. Probably won't be long until someone finds a hack to get rid of the ads though. ;)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
IMHO, if it has ads, it should be free.
Exactly. I hope that is a huge, huge FLOP.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The ads aren't in the books, only on the 'screensaver' and at the bottom of the home page. I personally don't have a problem with it, but for me I would have to see the price move a bit more before we buy another Kindle.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't understand the objection. It's a great idea and the ads are only on the screen saver. Who cares if the screen saver is an ad?

It will be a very large success, no reason otherwise.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If they were to just give it away for free it would become the next Cuecat, people would just order them to pull them apart and build other things.

They should have made it something like you had to buy a 100$ credit in e-books and you got the ad based kindle.

As it is the price difference is too low to make it worthwhile, and if they just keep lowering the price people who paid more earlier are going to get resentful.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some analysts also believe that free Kindles are a real option in the future since the revenue comes from the books.

Your idea was one that I think they might do (or flavour of).

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I think the age of free e-readers is sooner than most people think, especially basic models. The economics seem pretty elementary and well-tested in verticals such as mobiles.

I'm betting that this new Kindle really takes off, given that it's a commoditized product.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Why I object?

- I's not needed to deliver a low cost e-reader. There are on the market already. We have 3. An Aluratek Libre Pro, a Kobo and a Libre colour with backlighting. The cost for each was $90 to $100. No reason that basic readers can't be pushed down to $50 or less, the way calculators have dropped hugely in price since brought in. The price isn't much of a deal.

- It's more acceptance by the market of vendor's monitoring your lifestyle via electronic monitoring.

- I wouldn't be surprised if it extends consumer monitoring to what and when you are reading it. All the provide "enchanced" services I am sure. I would be interested in reading the terms of service for accepting the deal.

- It's the thin edge of the wedge. Screensaver today, and tomorrow? Marketers won't be satisfied with just that. Remember when TV didn't have channel logos?

Just IMHO.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I would like to see the terms and conditions as well. Your first point I don't agree with though. Those cheaper eReaders are not nearly as good as the Kindle, in terms of screen contrast and page turning speed - the two most important features for me.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I would like to see the terms and conditions as well. Your first point I don't agree with though. Those cheaper eReaders are not nearly as good as the Kindle, in terms of screen contrast and page turning speed - the two most important features for me.
The Libres are very fast at turn paging, that was a major factor for me. I returned a Sony ereader (non-touch screen), and it is faster than the Kobo I have. There isn't much room to turn pages quicker than the Libre pro does.

For screen, the Libre Pro is as good or better than the ones I mentioned, but I haven't compared it to a Kindle. I have read about 70 books on the Pro and have no problem with the screen, and I'm old enough to need reading glasses and don't tolerate fuzziness well.

One spot where the LIbre is slow is loading a book the first time, but once you are in it, the page turning is almost instant. It keeps a log of books you are reading and fires in quickly from there. Otherwise, when you turn it on you are back where you left off in your book. Using it is much more intuitive than the Kobo or Sony were. For an early generation cheap reader it does the basic job very well. I think of these as similar to early palm pilots that cost hundreds and eventually were dirt cheap.

The Libre Color is very good at turning as well, it isn't like the generic 7" tablets with e-reader software, it is a dedicated reader. Initial book loading is much quicker as well. It is back lit, and gives you good control on the lighting level.

Both let you read in landscape mode as well, which is my preference.

I'm sure the Kindle is slicker and likely a bit better screen, but for basic reading, the cheapo does work well.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
only on the bottom of the front page..only on the screensaver. That's where it starts...After you pay we'll change our policy. Who hasn't seen that these days?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm interested in the Kindle, but what would be nicer is if they starting giving us US prices since our Dollar has been worth more than the USD for 3 months now:rolleyes:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I would never buy it but it seems many people are content to sit through or click thru ads to save a few bucks so let the market decide.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The ad(s) replaces the screen saver so instead of seeing a photo of a famous author you see an ad.

Doesn't get in the way of your reading experience.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts