Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
while the 10" comes out in Q1 2012.
I guess if they wait long enough they can sell it for $299!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Most detailed report I've seen: http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/amazon-kindle-tablet/

Again, the device is a 7-inch tablet with a capacitive touch screen. It is multi-touch, but from what I saw, I believe the reports that it relies on a two-finger multi-touch (instead of 10-finger, like the iPad uses) are accurate. This will be the first Kindle with a full-color screen. And yes, it is back-lit. There is no e-ink to be found anywhere on this device.

Earlier this week, reports suggested that a 7-inch Amazon tablet could be released in October, with a larger, 10-inch version to follow next year. That’s somewhat accurate. As of right now, Amazon’s only definitive plan is to release this 7-inch Kindle tablet and they’re targeting the end of November to do that. The version I saw was a DVT (Design Verification Testing) unit. These have started floating around the company. It’s ready, they’re just tweaking the software now. If it’s not in production yet, it will be very soon.

Originally, Amazon had planned to launch a 7-inch and a 10-inch tablet at the same time. But that plan changed this summer. Now they’re betting everything on the 7-inch. If it’s a hit, they will release the more expensive 10-inch tablet in Q1 2012.

So how much will the 7-inch Kindle cost? $250.
Google’s Android Market is nowhere to be found. In fact, no Google app is anywhere to be found. This is Android fully forked. My understanding is that the Kindle OS was built on top of some version of Android prior to 2.2. And Amazon will keep building on top of that of that over time. In other words, this won’t be getting “Honeycomb” or “Ice Cream Sandwich” — or if it does, users will never know it because that will only be the underpinnings of the OS. Any visual changes will be all Amazon.

They are not working with Google on this. At all.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I think $250 will be a fairly attractive price point, especially considering that it will probably be rooted within days and you will likely have a fully functioning android tablet for a low price.

·
Registered
772 Posts
At $250 including a sub to Amazon prime ($79 value - that I currently pay for), I'm in for sure. No doubt in my mind. Now what do I do with my iPad and Touchpad???

·
Registered
659 Posts
Another report about the forthcoming tablet with some extra details

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/02/amazon-tablet-coming-in-november-for-250/

The tablet is running a heavily skinned version of Android that was developed without any help from the folks in Mountain View. It apparently has a Cover Flow-esque UI, and is deeply integrated with all of Amazon's services (Cloud Player, Instant Video Player, Appstore, and of course the Kindle app). Best of all, it will reportedly cost a scant $250 -- not quite TouchPad territory, but well underneath the iPad's $500 price. Let the next great tablet war begin.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what happens with this tablet, especially if they can maintain the $250 price point for the 7", and the $300 price point for the 10" (iPad's screen size territory).

Anyone here think Amazon might be selling the tablet for less than the production cost, with the hope of hitting it big in the app store? We might see tablets go the way of printer technology: the printer is cheap, but the ink is über expensive!

To be honest, it'll be very difficult for anyone to dethrone Apple. They did such an excellent job on the hardware for the first iPad, competitors are STILL trying to catch up to it long after the second iPad was released! TWO generations behind!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
At $250 including a sub to Amazon prime ($79 value - that I currently pay for), I'm in for sure. No doubt in my mind. Now what do I do with my iPad and Touchpad???
Really? You're serious?

So you'd be loosing 3" in screen size, loosing standard Android Honeycomb, loosing the Android Marketplace? Doesn't seem like that much of a slam dunk to me.

I see these details as kind of a bad thing. Just what we need: more Android fragmentation, more custom skinning, more proprietary apps and a proprietary app store. Yikes! Is the Amazon App Store even available in Canada?? This smells like "US only" to me like the Kindle was originally.

Given this news, my hope is that Amazon will drive down the overall Android tablet price point meaning greater adoption of other non-Amazon tablets.

·
Registered
772 Posts
There are ways to get around the "US only" requirement. I am an amazon prime member so I have access to Amazon VOD, and if they are including a Prime membership in the cost, that effectively drops the price to $170 for me. Plus, easy access to amazon cloud, and kindle....

I'm kidding about dropping the iPad/Touchpad, but this tablet will be great for those of us heavily integrated into the Amazon ecosystem.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Yup, this will be all about rooting. As HP has shown, people will line up for a cheap, yet solid piece of hardware if there's even a sliver of hope the device can be taken off warranty for Android.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Amazon has always been about selling the razor blades, and selling the razor just to get people to buy the blades. Remember what a (non)-force the e-book market was? Then Amazon comes along and splashes the Kindle everywhere on its site, and makes it super-easy to buy those e-books.
I see them doing the same thing here: selling the Kindle colour at or just below cost, then making it back with Prime and having all those buyers buy EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink (oops - they sell those, too) via Amazon.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
You can access the Amazon app store if you create an Amazon account with an American address. Unfortunately, unless you have an American credit card you can only download free apps.

However, for those with Amerifriends it is usable.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Will they do a parody of a Steve Jobs style presentation? :)

Should be interesting. Amazon is one of those rare companies where their products get more praise than criticism. This tablet should be a decent contender in a head-to-head battle against the iPad.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.