Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot to mention this earlier, but on this week's episode of The Amazing Race (S17E02), one of the challenges they had to do was to install a TV antenna for a family in Ghana. It was quite primitive, but it was kind of fun to watch contestants trying to figure out how to get it to work.

My wife's comment was that it would be my dream challenge. :)

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Not sure if Ghana TV is vertically or horizontally polarized, but it sure aint earth down polarized, heh.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
It looks like the shield is at the bottom and the coax core is at the top of the front elements that appear to be horizontal oriented. Has anyone modeled this design yet ? ;) It seems more like the principal idea of a satellite antenna design rather than an OTA antenna design. Is Ghana TV possibly satellite FTA?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Based on what I saw in this episode, it looked like some form of analog format. One person from the team stood by watching the TV screen as the other teammate mounted and adjusted the antenna to get a good picture with less snow.

Thought that challenge was kinda neat. Almost missed it while flipping through channels that night.

Did any of them actually get a TV signal after their install?
Many of them seemed to have good results. I saw a pretty clear picture on a few of the TV sets...maybe the transmitters weren't all that far away.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Could be mobile TV T-DMB!

What is T-DMB?
Digital Multimedia Broadcasting (DMB) is a digital radio transmission technology developed in South Korea[1][2][3] as part of the national IT project for sending multimedia such as TV, radio and datacasting to mobile devices such as mobile phones. This technology, sometimes known as mobile TV, should not be confused with Digital Audio Broadcasting which was developed as a research project for the European Union. DMB was originally developed in South Korea as the next generation digital technology to replace the FM radio.[4] The world's first official mobile TV service started in South Korea in May 2005, although trials were available much earlier. It can operate via satellite (S-DMB) or terrestrial (T-DMB) transmission. DMB has also some similarities with the main competing mobile TV standard, DVB-H.[5]

Ghana is running a T-DMB service in Accra and Kumasi on mobile network since May 2008

Canada has been running trials since 2006 in Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, done by CBC/Radio-Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Multimedia_Broadcasting#cite_note-13

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
That's a digital mobile standard. Either the picture would be perfect or not there at all. Judging from what people who saw the Amazing Race segment said, it seems to show some old analogue PAL signals.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
That's a digital mobile standard. Either the picture would be perfect or not there at all. Judging from what people who saw the Amazing Race segment said, it seems to show some old analogue PAL signals.
It reads that Accra and Kumasi have been on mobile network since May 2008. I suppose it would depend on where in Ghana they were at the time of filming the show. It could be mobile. But if they were tuning in snowy pictures, then there must still be analog broadcasting in Ghana also.

·
Registered
551 Posts
OK I get it now it is yagi style antenna. He has the nose of the antenna pointing into the earth. The antenna needs to be rotated 90* widdershin. The part with the blue board is a sheild/reflector(because the the iron roofs).

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK I get it now it is yagi style antenna. He has the nose of the antenna pointing into the earth.
Yes. Here is another picture of another contestant, this time with the antenna mounted properly (well, sort of). :)

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did any of them actually get a TV signal after their install? :D
To pass the challenge and get the next clue, they were required to adjust the antenna until the owner was happy with the reception.

·
Registered
725 Posts
To pass the challenge and get the next clue, they were required to adjust the antenna until the owner was happy with the reception.
At one shot at the TV screen, I saw the screen showed "AV" OSD (as in using AV input). I suspect the reception result might be fake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts