Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
When I purchased my 720p 50" TV 4 years ago the price gap was much wider. Also, the quality of the TV panel was virtually the same between 720p and 1080p. Today the big difference is that there is a wider gap in panel quality between 720p and 1080p (even at the low end). Manufacturers are no longer putting the latest technology into the 720p panels, in some cases using 2-3 years old panel technology. I think today everyone should go for 1080p, not because of the greater resolution but due to better blacks, colour, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This will be good for the consumer then as they reckon there's going to be a huge price war this Christmas and the biggest bargains will probably be in 720p on the plasma side.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think I've narrowed it down to the Samsung LN46C610/650 or the Sony KDL-46EX500. Both are very similar except the Samsung has an ethernet jack. What is this for? Streaming video?
With the LN46C650 you can watch youtube videos, watch Netflix, and stream any media from your PC to your TV using DLNA. It rocks!

I have my 950Q record all my shows (OTA) on my Win7 desktop and then watch it on my 46" or 50" TV in HD via the home network. No bandwidth issue here.

From an OTA source you can tell the difference between 720P and 1080i. 720P just looks a little fuzzy compared to 1080i. (especially when watching something like the Simpsons which has thin dark lines. Global TV = 1080i, ABC = 720p)

·
Registered
409 Posts
help choose new bedroom tv

we have a big room and thus looking for 46" minimum, my plan all along was the s2 series from panasonic which currently can be had for around 1k. i'm wondering though if i should look to scale down my choice for a little bigger screen and a similar price for the 50" U series which is around $950 or even stepping down to a 720p panel in the C series for around $700.

any opinions? basically planning on watching hdtv on this mostly prior to bed, hook up the wdtv live and then perhaps in the future hooking up a bluray player at some point.

thanks

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Watching compressed Xvid or equivalent files then I would suggest the C series is more than sufficient. The size is predicated on the distance from the screen and what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
772 Posts
We have a large master as well and have a 42" LG plasma 720p as our TV. In hindsight I should have went with a 50" 720p. I think 720p is fine for a bedroom. We have an appletv 2nd gen, a Bell 6131 HD receiver, and a boxee box hooked up currently.

·
Registered
409 Posts
thanks, it's not just compressed stuff on the live, i also record ota on my network and then stream to the tv. i was thinking of the saving of going down to the C, but just didn't want to be disappointed with the choice in a couple years as this is probably gonna stay for awhile as other more prominent tvs will be replaced and upgraded.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just wanted to throw two cents in here, especially with the great deals we're seeing on 720p plasmas right now.

I picked up a 50" Panasonic C2 series plasma on Boxing Day for a stupid price (yes below what was advertised) and set it up in the living room to try it for a bit.

For seating distance, my head is about 10' away from the set, and I do notice a difference between it and my 1080p LG.

Would anyone besides me notice this difference? Likely not, as I have super sharp eyesight, and I am looking at the TV critically right now.

The main differences I notice are when smaller characters are on the screen, their edges are a bit fuzzier than with the LCD, and I occasionally do notice the screen door effect. I move a few feet further back, and I can't see a difference, or the SDE.

So with the great deals on Plasmas this time of year, I wouldn't be scared of a 720p one. And when I saw the improved color and motion of a plasma, I don't think I'll ever be buying an LCD again (separate issue). That 50" for 10' seems to be the magic line past which you shouldn't notice a difference between 720p and 1080p. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I think 720p displays are fine for most general uses.

However I just replaced a 42" 720p set with a comparable 42" 1080p.

Viewing distance of about 7-8'

I've been delighted watching some favorite movies and noticing they are visibly sharper. I like seeing the finer lines of hair and that curves and graphics have smooth crisp edges.

Is it a visible difference? Easily, yes. But the hard question to answer is how much extra cost that difference might be worth.

Unless you're using blu-ray discs, a lot of your content is going to be sub-1080p anyway.

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
^^^^
1080i has just as much resolution as 1080p. It just takes longer to display it all.

I recently purchased a 32" Sony Bravia for my bedroom and it runs 720p. However, compared to my 42" 1080p Sharp Aquos in the living room, it doesn't appear as "sharp". ;)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Here's an interesting fact ... if the 720p display has any overscan ... then the displayed image actually has about 50% less resolution than there is supposed to be in the original signal. A 920,000 pixel original 720p signal gets degraded to 460,000 visible pixels. Still looks good as it is better than DVD at 350,000 pixels.

The 1080p TV out of the box does not deliver 2,000,000 visible pixels of info coming from a 1080 signal. They are actually giving about 1,000,000 pixels ... again 50% less ... because all the TVs come out of the box set to overscan the image anywhere from 1.5% to 3%. If you fix the overscan and set it to Zero ... then the 2 million pixels will come back and one will truly get the most resolution of the the TV they bought.

regards

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well, I wrote my original post too soon.

Watched some HD football, played some Grand Turismo 5, watched Pixar short films, and the 720p has now gone back to the store.

Maybe I'm a bit too picky, and if my seating area was 14' back, I wouldn't notice it. However, I'm just a bit too close, and the SDE and lack of sharpness on "small" football players is just a little to distracting for me. Once you've been spoiled by 1080p, you just can't go back.

Now I'm off to look for a 1080p plasma - after trying out the 720p one, and seeing the beautiful blacks and vibrant colors, my LCD looks "washed" compared to it.

I can't say that 720p is still not a good option for some (my 27" 720p in the bedroom is great), but make sure that you are far enough back, and not right on that "magic" dividing line. If you're already used to something better, all you'll see are the faults.

Yet again, YMMV.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts