Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Remember, streaming bandwidth costs money. In a country of 35 million people, to have 320 million next door possibly drawing on their bandwidth, that's an imbalanced traffic flow / cost. But for American services, having a few extra canadians using their bandwidth isn't a problem. Mostly it's about rights though. CBC does make some of its news programming available worldwide, but not their comedy or fiction. Schitt's Creek is the only CBC show I know picked up by a U.S. network.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
More than any country I know, Americans / American media execs really can't come to grips with any outside programming unless it's from England. There was a CBC show last year, 'Private Eyes', starring Jason Priestly. Toronto as Toronto. Never got a U.S. release. Some will say 'it wasn't a good enough show'. To that, I give you 'Two Broke Girls'.
Nearly all U.S. Sci-Fi shows seem to be shot in Canada, but nearly all are in the U.S., as far as script goes.
Why they accept Brit shows is unclear - maybe it's that whole 'parent' syndrome.

·
Registered
555 Posts
It's All About The Money

It is show BUSINESS. PBS might as well be BBC. I don't think "Mother Country" has anything to do with it.
PBS BBC shows are on their schedule maybe because they are cheap and are perceived as "Quality".
I like Sherlock on Masterpiece Theater. I also like some of the BBC shows on our channels and a few on BBC Canada.

Networks like to buy cheap with as many eyes as possible to sell to advertisers. Show runners are always plugging shows as highly watchable and cheap to buy.

Maybe the national thing is a sales feature by a show runner; viewers can more relate to a show - that could be me in that scene:wink

I like "Private Eyes", but I better like "2 Broke Girls". Each to their own.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Agreed. PBS pick up British (mostly BBC) shows because they are cheap for PBS to buy but give PBS the opportunity to boast about quality.

I perceive reality as "Americans / American media execs really can't come to grips with any outside programming" period.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been amused the last few years that the PBS show "Nature" co-produces episodes of "The Nature Of Things" with the CBC and airs them later - almost always with new narration. I don't know why Suzuki isn't good enough :)

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
More than any country I know, Americans / American media execs really can't come to grips with any outside programming unless it's from England. There was a CBC show last year, 'Private Eyes', starring Jason Priestly. Toronto as Toronto. Never got a U.S. release. Some will say 'it wasn't a good enough show'...
ION Television Signs Deal for New Original Series, "Private Eyes," From Entertainment One

Other series that feature Canada prominently include Vancouver-based Motive (CTV / USA Network) and Continuum (Showcase / Syfy.)

CTV's The Listener, Flashpoint and Rookie Blue were all shot in Toronto and didn't try to masquerade as U.S. productions. The major U.S. networks have scheduled CanCon TV shows, but the ratings have been mediocre at best. My experience is that Americans are not really interested or knowledgeable about things outside the U.S. (My sister lived to the U.S. for 10 years and I visited often.) London or Paris may seem exotic, but Canada is just bland by American standards. I know that is a generalization, but ratings on based on "the masses."

Saving Hope is another CanCon production that also airs on ION TV, although I'm not sure if there is anything specifically Canadian about it or if it's just a generic North American hospital.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Great news about Private Eyes (we call it Moonlighting: Toronto). I heard that season 2 is in post-production and has 18 episodes, up from 10 in season 1.

Many unscripted shows on HGTV in the US are filmed in Canada, like Holmes on Holmes, Love it or List It, Love or List It Vancouver (called Love it Or List it Two in the States), and Income Property. I think Americans are more or less used to CanCon shows in that realm. Scripted shows are airing on obscure US nets right now, like Private Eyes on Ion and Schitt's Creek on Pop. It's only a matter of time before they end up on major nets.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
great news about 'Private Eyes' indeed. Now I can try and fail to get my American friends to watch past the first episode, when they realize that pointy thing isn't the Space Needle. lol.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Rookie Blue was Global, to be pedantic. Also from Global, shot in the t-dot, is Ransom, and Mary Kills People.

Love It Or List It, is American AFAIK, except of course the Vancouver version.

Property Virgins was Canadian, now American.

Anything with Baumler is also Canadian.

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
Rookie Blue was Global, to be pedantic.
You're right. (now where's that embarrassed emoji?)

I also thought about Ransom and Mary Kills People, but I haven't watched them so I don't know if there's anything in the production that makes them look "Canadian." I know they tick all the CRTC boxes to qualify them as CanCon, but my guess is the script doesn't reference anything Canadian.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Orphan Black hints at being in Canada, but mostly through sly dialogue like "Scarberia", which would mean nothing to a Texan. 'Private Eyes' and 'Continuum' were at least bold enough to point out they are in Toronto and Vancouver.

·
Registered
555 Posts
CanCon (Canadian Content) prime reason for being according to the public pronouncements of government and the entertainment industry is to reflect Canadian culture. I believe the prime reason is to ensure a revenue stream to the industry. Whether a show is produced in Montreal and appears to be a USA location is of no $$$ consequence to the industry. I personally don't care.

Actors' accents should be appropriate to the story line. Another off-put is seeing identifiable Canadian businesses and signage on a supposed USA location.

The story line must ring true. :angel

21 - 36 of 36 Posts