Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit by 57. The following posts were split from the channel discussion thread since they were not really discussing SD channels.

I think it might be more of an issue that you are a ways south or travelling south you will not have a Canadian 24 hour news source.

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Shaw Free Range for Shaw Direct does have the following News, Business and info Channels (if you already subscribe):
BC1 News
CBC News Network
CTV NEWS
BNN
BBC World News
Bloomberg
CNBC
CNN
HLN
MSNBC
The Weather Network

Also
Global BC, EDM, CGY, Lethbridge, Sask, WPG, Tor, MTL, HFX
CTV VAN, EDM, CGY, Sask, Regina, WPG, Tor, MTL, HFX
CTV2 Victoria, Alberta, Atlantic (broken)
CBC BC, EDM, CGY, SSK, WPG, Tor, MTL, HFX

Sports
Sportsnet 360, 1, East, West, Ontario, Pacific.
TSN 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
NBCGolf

Kids
Disney Jr, Family Jr, Treehouse, NICK, YTV, Teletoon, XD, Chrgd, Family, Disney East, Disney West, ABC Spark

Speciality
Animal Planet, CMT,Vintage, Disc C&I, Discovery, Investigation Disc, Disc SCI, Disc Velocity, DIY, FYI, Food, HGTV, History, Love Nature, Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild, Travel & Escape, Showcase Action, BBC Canada, DTour, Lifetime, ShowCase, Cooking, Slice, W East, W West,TLC, Cosmo, OWN, IFC, Sundance, Movietime.

There may be others that I don't have a subscription to.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thanks everyone, I'm pretty savvy how to get things done :) but it would have been easier if F1 had at least one or two. I thought they may have split CBC and CTV up for whatever reason. At least I know that Canada exists, has news, and where to get it.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Anik F1R and F2's footprint shrinks as the satellites age. I remember Telesat did that with the old nimiq satellites in order to save power. I get that it would be easier to get access via satellite but many people that travel south are going to have to look at alternatives in the future as I don't think Southern Reception will be possible at all in the future.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
beyond the northern California border at least. I always wonder why it's so easy for Americans to legally get their culture in Canada, while it seems to be illegal for Canadians to do the same in America. So much for the land of the free, eh?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wouldn't it be the same reason that it's illegal to have an American dish in Canada? Remember a few yrs, ago when that was popular Set up a dummy U.S. mailing address and get ESPN HBO etc all on an American dish?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
but Americans don't need a dish - all they need is Rogers, Shaw, Bell cable - majority American programming.
In Los Angeles, where it's rumored up to one million Canadians live and work, there are ZERO Canadian channels available, not even The Corp.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The one million or so Canadians, living in and near LA, should start a petition, and submit it to their cable providers, stating that they would like to receive CBC. It would probably be provided if the cable companies knew there was a demand for it. I doubt that they would carry our sports or broadcast channels, but they may also provide CBC Newsworld and/or CTV Newsnet if a demand was created by their customers.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
actually, the canadian, originating sites block foreign IP addresses. Netflix has just started going a step further with geo-location blocking, which is nearly impossible to break.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've been in New Zealand for the last 3.5 weeks (back for two hours now) and every Canadian site where I tried media was geo-blocked (i.e. video or audio streaming). However, I believe the blocking is at source.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
US doesn't block Cdn websites the Canadians do it on their own. Just like the US websites dont let non-US watch them.

·
Registered
875 Posts
US doesn't block Cdn websites the Canadians do it on their own. Just like the US websites dont let non-US watch them.
Why wouldn't the CBC want the whole world to watch their network? I think I know the answer but let's hear from more knowledgeable people on this site.

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
Why wouldn't the CBC want the whole world to watch their network? I think I know the answer but let's hear from more knowledgeable people on this site.
It might surprise you to know that the CBC doesn't actually "own" a lot of the programs they show. They just purchase the broadcast rights for Canada, just like the U.S. networks purchase the broadcast rights only for the U.S. for a lot of prime-time programs. Just look at the end of a press release to see all the other companies involved.

press release from CBC: CBC ORDERS SEASON FOUR OF HIT ORIGINAL COMEDY SERIES SCHITT'S CREEK

press release from Pop: Pop's Most Watched Original Series "Schitt's Creek" Renewed for Season Four

press release from NBC: "This Is Us" Receives Renewal for Two Additional Seasons
"produced by 20th Century Fox Television"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts