Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking all over the place and can't find an alternate UHF remote that might work with the DSR series of receivers from Shaw Direct which use the UHF remote, but with a lighted keypad for nightime.
Does anyone know of one that operates at the right frequency, and allows you to use it in the dark?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
That's a problem only solved by going to a universal remote. I use the Harmony 880 and the Hot Link Pro booster/relay system but the Harmony 890 does all of that too. The codes are available for the latest Shaw Direct receivers. The Harmonys are backlit.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a problem only solved by going to a universal remote. I use the Harmony 880 and the Hot Link Pro booster/relay system but the Harmony 890 does all of that too. The codes are available for the latest Shaw Direct receivers. The Harmonys are backlit.
interesting - so this is a UHF system? How does it know what the Shaw UHF frequency is?
Ah, it's not UHF - it's an IR amplifier.
:(
I'm looking for something that will work from the next room, through walls and out windows.
Is this capable of that?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
No 3rd party universal remote will directly work with the UHF receiver in the satellite receiver. It just does not happen. Only the OEM remote can.

Any 3rd party UHF remote system will use its own UHF receive-IR transmit base. They will otherwise do the same.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I've been looking all over the place and can't find an alternate UHF remote that might work with the DSR series of receivers from Shaw Direct which use the UHF remote, but with a lighted keypad for nightime.
Does anyone know of one that operates at the right frequency, and allows you to use it in the dark?
Do you need UHF ? (like access from another room...). You know that all SD receivers work with IR remotes also ?. If IR is good enouh for you gat a Logitech Harmony.For UHF I have no idea, if you can find one.I think Logitech have som Harmony remotes (expensive ones: http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/remotes/universal-remotes/devices/5874) which work via UHF/RF but I think use an IR dongle which you set near your receiver, so at the end the receiver uses IR , but you get the range of an UHF remote, if you can afford the price.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I'm looking for something that will work from the next room, through walls and out windows. Is this capable of that?
Systems like Hot Link Pro are wired systems from an IR receiver unit to emitters taped to the front of electronics. Extension wires are available to run over greater distances. I realize that the desire is to have a fully wireless connection from one room to the other but no remotes with SD frequencies are backlit. My electronics are hidden from view but the Harmony can control all units.

I found the newly designed 630 remote difficult to use due to button placement and button shape for low light conditions. I went back to the URC 550 remote which, although not backlit, is easier to navigate in low light. I use that as a backup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts