Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After studying all these posts it appears that I've run into many snags during my requisitions.

1. For some reason (where I live anyways), PVC 1/2" tees are difficult to find. HD and Rona only seem to have PVC tee with boxes which run about $2.88 here. 300 Ohm quotes the regular ones without boxes at ~$1.25. I haven't even found crosses yet..

2. I didn't realize how thick 6 gauge wire was, but I had some similar scrap metal and it is very difficult to bend. I'm thinking of using many coathangers and bundling them for thickness and sturdier-ness if needed (I'm only doing indoor attic). If I can't bend it something so thick, and I'm guessing cutting it would also be a problem without proper tools, what's the next best thing for material?

3. NARODs and NAROD reflectors are the same diameters in all the plans, should I try and keep them the same, or does anyone know the difference if one is thicker than the other? I'm wondering if, for instance, the reflectors need to be AT MOST the elements' diameter for optimal results.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I dont know what the problem with the 1/2" pvc tees could be, they are super common and cheap. Ask the store manager.

Dont use coat hanger wire, its too short, paint covered, and less conductive. In Canada, the best option is aluminum rod at Metal Supermarkets. Ask for for the softer stuff, as some is very brittle. 3/16" or 1/4" is fine.

3. NARODs and NAROD reflectors are the same diameters in all the plans, should I try and keep them the same, or does anyone know the difference if one is thicker than the other? I'm wondering if, for instance, the reflectors need to be AT MOST the elements' diameter for optimal results.
The elements and NARODs have been modeled at the same size, so keep them the same size.
The NAROD reflectors can be a bit bigger in diameter. I used 3/8" diameter on one of my models.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
elmsley, check Canadian Tire and local plumbing supply shops - you will definitely find them. Don't use coat hangers for anything to do with antennas. :eek: Using garbage gives garbage results.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weird, I just got back from Lowes and those guys have all the PVC parts you can think of. Even the guys at HD said they don't make 'em. :confused:

And Metal Supermarkets, yes! Got some aluminum rods there, I just hope I can bend them without hurting myself. With minimal tools, I hope pure might and a few nails on a board can help me do the job.

I'm beginning to think this is a little more than I expected, but the thought of limitless free TV still beckons..

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Even the guys at HD said they don't make 'em.
They must be from the planet Utapau, heh.

I hope pure might and a few nails on a board can help me do the job.
Yes, thats what I do. One 10 or 12 penny nail in a 2 X 10 banged in half way. And a scrap piece of 2 X 4 to keep the whole thing flat. Basically all you need for tools with aluminum rod is a hammer and a hack saw or large wire clippers. And a file to smooth the ends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts