Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
edited for brevity from press release

September was a great month for CBC Radio across Canada, according to PPM results, with particularly strong showings in Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto, and for the network overall.

CBC Radio One captured a 9.2 share (the highest since November 2009) and CBC Radio 2 captured a 2.5 share (a tie for its highest share since we began PPM measurement) during an average week in the five PPM markets.

Radio One had an average weekly national reach of 4.9 million listeners and Radio 2 held a steady weekly reach of 2.1 million listeners. For the first time, the combined services reached over 6 million Canadians in an average week (6,177,000).

CBC Radio summer numbers were strong overall and August numbers were higher than last summer, almost on par with regular season listening. Mornings shows on Radio One are up, even over the numbers two years ago, and noon and afternoon time slots are back up to the levels achieved two years ago.

Toronto remains very strong, with a 9.8 weekly share overall. (That means almost 10% of all the radio listening in the Toronto market goes to Radio One.) Metro Morning has captured a 16.6 share, which takes it back to November 2009 levels, while both Ontario Today and Here and Now experienced share increases.

CBC Radio continues to build online successes with more than five million page views for Radio for September and over one million unique visitors for the month. On-demand streams are up 17% since the beginning of the season. In September, there were 5.7 million podcast initiations, and iPhone/iPad users launched the CBC Radio app 493,753 times.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Toronto numbers are quite staggering.

Considering how many stations there are in Toronto, its quite amazing especially since so many hours are spent listening to music

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
james99 said:
I wake up to CBC Radio One every morning.
What he said. :)
CBC doesn't come in very well in my car where we live and I didn't get my iPhone streaming this morning, so I put the car on the local commercial station.
From now on, I'll just sit in silence if it's a choice between that and the morning zoo.

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
I'm among the hoards of Calgarians who listen regularly to CBC Radio One and Two. The habit started when I was 12 and I haven't stopped since.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I am like downbeat, I started listening to CBC R1 in my adolescense, starting with Air Farce, then Arthur Black, then the Saturday comedy ad 11:30, Quirks&Quarks, DNTO. I never got onto weekdays and Sunday Morning until the later 1990s, when I tired of commercial talk radio and Sunday morning TV.
R2 I don't listen to normally, but is there if I stop on it.

I still listen to some commercial music radio.

In the earlly 1990s I lived in London Ontario, and has for my home stereo, the radio from a 1984 GMC Jimmy. It had 4 memory buttons, but by pressing combinations of them, one could get two more, the hidden memories default program was the CBC R1/R2 frequencies in London.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Growing up my family never listened to CBC R1 or 2, so I just assumed nobody else did either! Surprised to see these numbers!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I listen to CBC a lot. I also listen to 640Toronto occasionally (Mike Stafford, sometimes Arlene Bynon). I think these numbers must indicate just how bad commercial radio has become, and, as previously stated, how few of the younger adults listen to radio at all. I'd be interested to see the demographic breakdown of the listeners.

·
Registered
621 Posts
We have a pretty good talk radio station here in Regina (News/Talk 980 CJME) but they must spend about 12 minutes an hour running commercials, so I've all but abandoned it. I don't want to spend 20% of my radio listening time hearing commercials.

CBC has no commercials so it's a very attractive alternative with a lot of good content, and satellite radio or listening to podcasts uses up most of the rest of my listening time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts