1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gord Lacey mentioned this is another thread:

Oilers Pay Per View now in High Definition

Great news! ...except for the price...
With most Oilers Pay-Per-View providers, customers can choose to purchase all 12 games in Standard Definition for $139.95 or the High Definition full season 12 game package for $159.95.

Single game purchases are available for $13.95 in Standard Definition or $15.95 in High Definition.
Of course it's more expensive than SD, but it's not like $12.95 in prior seasons (for SD) was worth it. Scrap the dumb "commercial free" angle, and eliminate the fee.

Oh well. If this announcement means there's permanent HD production equipment at Rexall, the rumour of all Sportsnet Oiler games broadcast in HD might come to fruition this season. 47 games! :cool: Here's hoping the rumour is accurate.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Why charge more for HD???? I am so frustrated about this. Now HD is like Premium gasoline. If it's hD, it's worth more.

Oilers/Shaw: You did not get any of my money before because SD was crappy and I KNOW I'm not the only one who thinks that way. Making it HD will make more people want to buy the games, so revenues would have gone up, thus making up for added cost of HD equipment/production. Why do you have to tack on an extra $2 just for good measure?

This nickel and diming cr** gets me to no end.

Now, since oilblue mentions this in post 1, on which channel are those HD Sportsnet games going to be broadcast? Where's the alternate HD Sportsnet feed located at these days?

BTW, Rexall Place is now outfitted with HD equipment (at least that's what I've heard from some people in the know).

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not allowed to scrap the commercials with PPV. CRTC dictates that PPVs must be commercial free.
OK...but they're not exactly commercial free right now. The commercial breaks are still there, and to give the announcers a break, they jump to Oiler "infomercials". To me, those are ads.

To be clear, I'm not talking about 'behind the scenes' special segments. Those obviously aren't commercials. However, the PPV broadcasts are loaded with infomercials (promos for upcoming PPV games, upcoming Oiler games, Oilers merchandise, etc.).

Besides, I suggested elimination of the fee. Does the CRTC still mandate "commercial free" for a free PPV? If so, why?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Why charge more for HD???? I am so frustrated about this. Now HD is like Premium gasoline. If it's hD, it's worth more.

Oilers/Shaw: You did not get any of my money before because SD was crappy and I KNOW I'm not the only one who thinks that way. Making it HD will make more people want to buy the games, so revenues would have gone up, thus making up for added cost of HD equipment/production. Why do you have to tack on an extra $2 just for good measure?

This nickel and diming cr** gets me to no end.
Couldn't agree more. Probably because we're in the same boat. Huge Oiler fans, but spoiled by HD broadcasts, we couldn't stomach paying $13 for an SD PPV. As PokerChip mentioned, even at the same price point as SD, revenues would have gone up.

Now, since oilblue mentions this in post 1, on which channel are those HD Sportsnet games going to be broadcast? Where's the alternate HD Sportsnet feed located at these days?
Well, that'll vary from provider to provider. Best to post the question in the appropriate sub-forum (like the Shaw one). For a general answer, check Sportsnet's Oilers HD page.

BTW, Rexall Place is now outfitted with HD equipment (at least that's what I've heard from some people in the know)
Excellent! :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts