Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Yes and no. The vdsl2 goes from fibre to copper wires so it might have something to do with what Aliant will be installing in NB...or maybe not. Like I wrote before, there isn't much info as to what FibreOp will give/bring us .

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I saw them running the fibre line down my street yesterday. Had a nice chat with one of the workers when he was standing in my driveway, though he didn't have a lot of details about it. It looks like Northside Fredericton will be online sooner rather then later, I'd say this year.

I'm particularly interested in the TV offering. The Internet is awesome, but I already use Aliant because they don't do traffic shaping on World of Warcraft patches like Rogers does (seriously Rogers, stop that! it's not like millions of people play the game or anything). Aliant's current TV offering doesn't exactly have a great channel lineup though, so I want to see if they're going to beef that up when they have so much more bandwidth to use.

As for why they're doing it in NB first - they also mentioned the aerial network. Everything in Fredericton just about is on poles, there's very few areas with underground cabling (except from the pole to the house, but those are short runs). That makes it cheaper to deploy then digging up city streets. The NB government also agreed to renew some existing Aliant contracts in addition to the mentioned financial support, and those contracts are worth significant money.

Someone down my street has one of those signs, I'm pretty excited!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hey Tridus - what street are you on (subdivision... )? I've got friends on the northside (my folks too) that are interested. I'm most likely gonna have to hold out longer, but I am a patient man.... (yeah right!!!)

As William Shatner used to say "Make Fiber Your Friend" (his All Bran Challenge) - yeah, I know different fiber, different spelling, but who cares... it's Shatner! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI, I spotted one of those signs on Watters Dr. if anyone lives around there.

I live on Northside, just east of Princess Margaret Bridge (near Ramada Hotel). I would be extremely surprised if we get anything in this area. I can't even get High Speed Ultra from Aliant because I'm too far away from the service station. I'm stuck with regular High Speed, and capped at 180KB/s downloads because of my location.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Hey Tridus - what street are you on (subdivision... )? I've got friends on the northside (my folks too) that are interested. I'm most likely gonna have to hold out longer, but I am a patient man.... (yeah right!!!)

As William Shatner used to say "Make Fiber Your Friend" (his All Bran Challenge) - yeah, I know different fiber, different spelling, but who cares... it's Shatner! :D
James Street, near the Brookside Mall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
will be the fastest internet in the Country when completed next year

Having moved to Fredericton 2 years ago I feel like I've won the lottery! I can't wait to ditch Rogers Extreme Plus, not just for the speed but for the customer service. Aliant seems worlds better than Rogers in that department.

I saw one of the FibreOp signs in downtown Fredericton on Smythe Street, so now just need it to hurry it's butt halfway up the hill.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Got an email from them today thanking me for showing interest in their fibre op system. They tell me I'm not in the actual footprint but will keep me posted as tp when I will be. Just like the guy had said....

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
That's what urks me. They have all these flashy ads in the papers, on TV, in emails but nothing is really informative. So far, it looks like a product that is being put out ASAP in order to try and beat the competition. Unless they are keeping in a secret and have a big bang of a surprise when it does come reality. :eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Any word on work in Saint John.I also received an e-mail thanking me for looking for info in West Saint John
I live in West saint john too down by the Lancaster mall, I have seen some Aliant guys using some instruments to scan the ground but I don't know if it has to do with Fibreop or if it has to do with construction the city is doing on my street...maybe they broke a line or something...

·
Registered
308 Posts
I Noticed a box that looks very similar to this one

newly installed on a pole outside Harris & Roome(across from the lakeside inn) on prospect street yesterday, the picture above is of a FIOS pole box. I wonder if this has anything to do with fibreop.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
from Bell Aliant

On Friday, September 18, Bell Aliant will announce details on the FibreOPTM residential services now available in areas of Fredericton on the only 100% fibre-optic network. The first in Canada to launch fibre to the home to an entire city, Bell Aliant will provide customers with the ultimate experience for Internet and video services, including High Definition television.
Should know more tomorrow

41 - 60 of 124 Posts