Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
One response I got from a friend who works for BellAliant (VERY reliable) said that New Maryland is currently in the "undecided expansion" phase. Meaning that if there is enough interest, they will look closer...

Everyone in New Maryland needs to go to BellAliant.net and sign up for "I want it - tell me when it's available".

https://public.bellaliant.net/FibreOp/

The bottom of the form says

++ Please note we are only taking customer information for Fredericton and Saint John at this time.
But sign the form anyway - this is the only they will know who wants it! SIGN UP PEOPLE! :cool:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Too bad this isn't being rolled out in Moncton, I am though happy to see some new things happening however so to those that live in the areas of deployment have fun once it's up and going.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Like I posted before, the guy that was hired to take inventory of the area where it should go, told me that New MAryland was slated to be on the list as well. I'm not trying to go against can3gxw's friend who's in the know, I'm just going with what the dude told me. ;)

He even told me that someone had called Aliant to give them poop because the survey stopped 2 houses before his.... :eek:

He also told me that when they advertised saying that St-John and Fredericton were announced as being the ones choosen for fibre op, they would included the high density areas living close by. Charter Settlement for example wouldn't get anything since the population is so spread out.

I guess we'll have to wait and see where exactly they will be putting it. Let's just say that even though I'm in the zone to get it, I'm not packing away all my ROGERS eqpt away yet.... :eek:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Danster - man... I wasn't trying to diss your earlier post AT ALL - I hope the contractor was right and more forthcoming than Aliant is... I am in Centennial Heights, right in the heart of NM.... right near the highway... :cool:

When I read your post earlier, I had to ask her "is it true?" Just to see her response - maybe they don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

If they decide not to, I will be sort of disappointed, however - if they DO upgrade, wow... look out!

*fingers crossed* - only time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
No harm done. Like everything in this province, everything has to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. He told me that if I was to call Aliant about it, they would probably deny about anything.

Reminds me when ROGERS was installing the High Speed internet in our location, if I called ROGERS about it, they said they had no idea as to when we'd be getting it. They were even telling me that our area was not slated to get it till much later....all while I could actually see the contracted people install the necessary eqpt in the poles in front of my house!! :eek: ;)

Like I mentionned previously, it isn't hooked to my house yet....

I did a few searches to see what the US offered as far as speed goes on Op cable and Verizon has 25/15 mbps download/upload. If ROGERS is coming out with their new docsis 3.0 in order to achieve these speeds at a much higher $$$, I guess it won't be much of a brainer to see where I'll be going to. I just hope that at these speeds, Aliant won't be putting bandwidth caps. I'd like to be able to stream HD programming like NASA TV.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Aliant brings FTTH (Fiber to the home) in New Brunswick

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/07/07/nb-bell-aliant-fibre-optic-409.html#socialcomments

http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/News/1c085f69-78b5-4c7e-9dab-9639b3a9e86d.html

Aliant plans to offer FibreOp, through aerial cables, to residents and businesses in Fredericton and Saint John. The province is contributing $1 million to the project

Bell Aliant Regional Communications LP plans to offer fibre optic connectivity to 70,000 homes and businesses in Fredericton and Saint John, New Brunswick, but is not saying what data transfer rates will be available.

This is “great news for small businesses that may not have access to all the infrastructure” that larger businesses might have, said Amit Kaminer, an analyst with the Montreal-based SeaBoard Group.

“It’s great news to see one of the Canadian telcos actually picking up the fibre to the home flag and pushing all the way through.” he said.

More in Network World Canada
Aliant promises broadband for all Prince Edward Islanders
Aliant announced this week by the middle of next year, it will have fibre to the home available to Fredericton and Saint John. It already has fibre to the node service available to 240,000 customers, meaning those users would rely on copper cabling for the last mile.

The fibre to the home service, dubbed FibreOp, will entail aerial cabling to optical network terminals on the exterior of customers’ buildings and will cost Aliant $60 million. The province is contributing $1 million on condition that $3 million worth of contracts be offered to local firms.

“It’s an aerial deployment, so it’s putting New Brunswick in the in forefront of technology,” Kaminer said. “It’s a torpedo launch at their competitors.”

It wasn’t clear how or if Aliant would provide cabling from customers' optical network terminals to their modems or whether customers would need to do this work themselves.

“Just like with any other service, the customer would call us and ask for installation and we would need to do some work outside to connect the service to their home,” said Aliant spokesperson Isabelle Robinson. “There’s services or equipment they would have to have within their home, their modem, or their set top box for their television service.”

The company has yet to announce pricing or service packages, but it will include television and high-speed Internet, Robinson said.
Apparently Saint John and Fredericton will be the first and have it in the country and will be the fastest internet in the Country when completed next year.?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry didn't realize there was another thread about this.Does anyone know what kind of speeds they will be offering?How fast can FTTH go?

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
No problem, I had merge your thread to this one.

As for the speeds, nothing is announced as of yet. I searched to see what the states offer with fibre op and the average seems to be around 25-30 mbps. I thought it would be faster than that...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I thought it would be faster to,I think Rogers extreme plus is 18mbps so it is a bit faster for downloading,I think the upload speed is way better then Extreme plus though.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
My guess is that Fibre Op will give ROGERS a run for their money by giving just a bit more speed for the same price as Extreme with ROGERS.

I'm tempted to jump ship but I wish someone would let us know if they will have full uncompressed HDTV or just pipe what they offer on satellite as is, no retouch. If that's the case, I'd say no.

·
Super Moderator
16,419 Posts
As an example of U.S. speeds, Verizon FIOS offers 3 plans:

• Download up to 15 Mbps / Upload up to 5 Mbps
  • Download up to 25 Mbps / Upload up to 15 Mbps
  • Download up to 50 Mbps / Upload up to 20 Mbps

·
Registered
122 Posts
Verizon Fios prices(U.S) 5 dollar more without the phone service.

Download up to 15 Mbps / Upload up to 5 Mbps = $44.99/mo. (with phone)

Download up to 25 Mbps / Upload up to 15 Mbps = $64.99/mo. (with phone)

Download up to 50 Mbps / Upload up to 20 Mbps = $139.95/mo.(with phone)

If Aliant offers these speeds with the same prices plan 1 (15Mbps down/5upload) and plan 2 (25mbps down/ 15 upload) look pretty good Considering I'm paying $54.99 on Rogers Extreme with a 10 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
You guys are kinda putting the cart before the horse. FTTH can mean a lot of things - what speeds you'll get will depend on what technology they're using.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm tempted to jump ship but I wish someone would let us know if they will have full uncompressed HDTV or just pipe what they offer on satellite as is, no retouch. If that's the case, I'd say no.
I am on that fence too - however - I can't go anywhere yet anyway... two reasons:

1) No mention of New Maryland yet (or WHEN it'll all be completed anyway)

2) I just resigned with Bell TV for another year for my discount, so I can't go anywhere until next summer ANYWAY.

As for the HDTV and whether it will be compressed or not, I find it strange that, while looking through the bundles for BellAliant IPTV, they are quite different from the offerings of Bell TV! :confused: Perhaps they are running a different "ship" here in Atlantic Canada. Or not... won't know - what about the users ALREADY using BellAliant TV? What are they reporting right now? Any compression now?

SO - again - I guess we all just need to sit tight until the wires are connected and the juice (uh, I mean the LIGHT) starts flowing! It'll be a fun ride!

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Hopefully they'll have a full display of the capabilities at the Bell shop in the Regent Mall. I want to see it from my own eyes , the HDTV part, how fast we can surf and so on. That will be the turning point to my decision.

Travisc, we're not putting the horse before the cart. We're merely speculating since there isn't any meat or info as too what will be available. We have ads in NB that take up full newspaper pages with big letters and no info at all. They say things like "You'll see HD like you've never seen before" and "You'll surf the web faster than ever"

To me, those ads mean nothing and that's why I like to compare it with other already existing installations, at least it gives me (us) an idea of what to expect. I don't like being teased with nothing..;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
You guys are kinda putting the cart before the horse. FTTH can mean a lot of things - what speeds you'll get will depend on what technology they're using.
"Bell Aliant has recently updated its fibre to the node technology to VDSL2 which allows Bell Aliant to enhance its IPTV and Internet offerings."

I don't know to much about this stuff but does VDSL2 have any significance?

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
This is what VDSL2 means:
VDSL2 is the newest and most advanced standard of DSL broadband wireline communications. Designed to support the wide deployment of Triple Play services such as voice, video, data, high definition television (HDTV) and interactive gaming. VDSL2 is proported to enable operators and carriers to gradually, flexibly, and cost efficiently upgrade existing xDSL-infrastructure.

21 - 40 of 124 Posts