Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Well if they don't have a PVR unit RIGHT AWAY, they might as well not even bother.

With *C/Bell/Rogers/Eastlink all offering PVR or even HD-PVR, Aliant won't stand a chance without a PVR. Especially once Rogers can offer local phone service. Once that happens, the ONLY bill with Aliant on it will be my cell phone.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
it's official Aliant Launches IPTV in Halifax

Starting at $29 per month for first year ($39 per month thereafter) with no charge installation and equipment.

·
Super Moderator
4,481 Posts
Interestingly enough, they don't offer CNN or TBS.

Also they say if you want PVR or HDTV... Go with expressvu.

Thirdly you have to subscribe to their high speed value package (internet + Long distance + optional Cellular) if you want in the game. Therefore they've completed the QUAD-Fecta of bundling Internet, Cable, Cell and Long Distance.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For approximately $69 you get all the nets including timeshifting, all the dignets, all the sport channels, all the TMN channels, except for TBS and CNN (no problem Fox News to the rescue). If the PQ is there along with 5:1 sound, I'd say that's a pretty sound offering despite no HD and PVR. You can always buy SD PVR to replace your old VHS. HD will come in time. I don't know Eastlink's story, but if they are like Shaw, HD will arrive at the same time Aliant gets it! I'd be sorely tempted to jump ship on content and price alone!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I just looked at the channel lineup. Looks pretty standard. I don't like their bundling of diginets with huge bundles for $10. Also TMN is really expensive at $20. Its a fair bit less on Eastlink.

The first year price for the Digital Advantage is pretty attractive. Its the only real hook though.

If they really want to take a bite out of the cable market, they should:

Have a much lower priced basic lineup. $25 for basically the same selection that can be had on Eastlink (Dartmouth) for $16. Nobody will bite.

Have a tiered structure so that someone can get basic + a small selection of packages for a reasonable fee. Something like the Starchoice Silver package from 5 years ago.

Have better time shifting. At least match the Rogers option, not the lame Eastlink timeshift package.

Ditch the requirement for HSI. Making it an attractive bundle is good, but a requirement is just plain slimy. Its basically saying that the service will never make a profit, but they just want to offer something to complete the bundle and compete with cable.

The HSI requirement is also frustrating in that Aliant's HSI is so slow. It is 1.5 mbs for standard or 3.0 mps for Ultra. I'm currently getting 6.2 mps on Eastlink, up from 4.8 a few months ago. Yes I am spoiled. Rotten. Also, the Aliant connection manager PPPoe program is a terrible memory hog.

Mark

·
Registered
669 Posts
smallmj said:
I just looked at the channel lineup. Looks pretty standard.
...Only offering radio channels from Atlantic Canada would be a deal breaker for me!....No thanks Aliant....ZZZZZ

·
Registered
55 Posts
It also says that it can only do two televisions. Why even bother? Didn't Vibe only do one?

Looks like they've got quite the uphill battle to fight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just don't bother

IP TV - it's a nice idea in the hands of a company that know how to manage technology. Unfortunately Aliant can't even manage simple customer care.

I've had this since August 2005 but it going to be cancelled next week:

- Channel guide often shows "No Information" for all the channels - requires a reboot of the box (often several times) to get it back
- Channels go missing of days at a time
- PPV - sound is dreadful - picture breaks up
- The general picture quality becomes blocky frequently.
- The internet is half the speed advertised.

No I'm not heavily using the internet whilst this is going on.
We've had several techs on site but they always blame it on the team back at base. Nothing ever gets resolved.

Customer service..... don't even go there.... they just hang up on you.

Wait until someone else masters it. In the meantime stick with Eastlink who we were with for 4 years and only saw a tech when he came to install.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Anybody else out there have Aliant IPTV that can offer some feedback!

·
Registered
87 Posts
For approximately $69 you get all the nets including timeshifting, all the dignets, all the sport channels, all the TMN channels, except for TBS and CNN (no problem Fox News to the rescue). If the PQ is there along with 5:1 sound, I'd say that's a pretty sound offering despite no HD and PVR. You can always buy SD PVR to replace your old VHS. HD will come in time. I don't know Eastlink's story, but if they are like Shaw, HD will arrive at the same time Aliant gets it! I'd be sorely tempted to jump ship on content and price alone!
HD will *not* arriv ein time.

Eastlink != Aliant. Eastlink is a cable company, they have coax into your house. Aliant just has crappy phone lines with DSL - they have a miniscule amount of bandwidth available compared to cable companies.

They will never be able to offer HD at standard compression rates. Hell, they can't even offer > two SD streams now! (IPTV you can only have two boxes maximum!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anybody else out there have Aliant IPTV that can offer some feedback!
I've seen it in Halifax at a friends house and it looks pretty good. I believe that like any new rollout, over time they will eventually offer more programming, HD, and more capacity management expenditures for additional TV's into the house and new features not yet seen in the industry.

IPTV is NOT just an Aliant thing, it is ramping up right accross North America. It is a very expensive industry for Telcos to get into, but I believe that it is a necessary step to compete with Cable companies getting into the phone business. There is a long ways to go, but there is a lot of potential with this technology if done right. IPTV will be one more competitive technology (versus cable and Satellite) in the industry, at the end of the day this will be good for the consumer.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I've seen it in Halifax at a friends house and it looks pretty good. I believe that like any new rollout, over time they will eventually offer more programming, HD, and more capacity management expenditures for additional TV's into the house and new features not yet seen in the industry.

IPTV is NOT just an Aliant thing, it is ramping up right accross North America.
For an example of how VDSL / IPTV is being rolled out "right", see Winnipeg MTS. They just managed to add HD this month -- 7 channels. They already had VOD.

One of the key constraints to the technology is the distance from the "node" to the end user set top box measured, literally, in metres. While fibre may be used from the head end to the node, twisted pair copper wire (aka your phone wires) carry the signal the final block to your home. MTS has chosen to put these nodes in the 600 - 800 metre range. Aliant, I understand, uses 1200 - 1500 metres as their limit.

In St. John's, NL, Aliant is telling customers not to use TVs larger than 24" and will not install in a household which subscribes to 5 mbps Internet AND has two TVs. The bandwidth is so tight, you couldn't put a PVR on it if you wanted to, let alone HD.

Bell in Toronto seems to be a better model but as far as I have heard, no sign of HD or PVR there either. In time, perhaps, but not immediately.

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
Just to add to what SensualPoet wrote, you can get 3 separate streams of TV and 5 mbps Internet using current technology (VDSL and MPEG2) in Winnipeg. There is no real technological limit to the number of channels you have access to, since only the channels you are actually watching are transmitted to your house. HD uses a separate pair of copper wire with only 1 channel so that you could have full HD quality at 19 mbps (not sure what rate they actually use).

Bell is using the same Motorola (Next Level) VDSL boxes for Expressvu for Condos. They have Motorola HD boxes in trials, but it looks like they're moving to Microsoft IPTV for futute rollouts.

Bottom line: it is possible to implement IPTV effectively if you build the nodes close enough to the users.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It also says that it can only do two televisions. Why even bother? Didn't Vibe only do one?

Looks like they've got quite the uphill battle to fight.
Yes Vibevision only had one tv and most people including myself wanted at least 2. I had the Vibevision from Aliant a few years back, it wasn't that bad if you were only looking for basic cable channels, however the box reset alot only 1 tv so it didn't last long. I would like to try the Aliant TV but it is not avaliable in Saint John yet, so the csr's tell me so i am stuck with rogers for now.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Yes Vibevision only had one tv and most people including myself wanted at least 2. ... I would like to try the Aliant TV but it is not avaliable in Saint John yet, so the csr's tell me so i am stuck with rogers for now.
Do you like PVR? That's like having two TVs. Aliant doesn't offer PVR and has no announced plans for one using their current architecture. And forget about HD. At the moment, you can't even get "hi speed" Internet (aka 3 mbps and faster) AND Aliant TV if you have two TVs -- the system can't support it. MTS has the neighbourhood nodes closer to the customers than Aliant (at least in St. John's where I sampled the service in one of their stores in late July).

IPTV depends on a decent bandwidth between the "neighbourhood node" and the end-user. With most telcos, that means existing copper telephone cable which hasn't the "ummmphh" to deliver more than 12 to 25 Mbps. Aliant is closer to 12 according to my understanding; MTS, and SaskTel, placing the nodes closer, and offering "bonded pair" service, can push this to 25 and higher.

From a business perspective, I can't figure out why Aliant is bothering with IPTV/VDSL at all. It makes sense for Bell in Toronto, Montreal and a few other cities but so far they haven't launched anything nearly as exciting as you can get in Regina and Winnipeg. Go figure.

If Rogers is an option in Saint John, I'd keep on eye on what they can offer vs. anything Aliant TV can deliver. I've mentioned it elsewhere, as well, that HD and On Demand make Rogers a pretty compelling service. But your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts