Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - apologies for the slightly acronym heavy title.

I live in Dartmoth, NS, have Aliant TV (IPTV service), and I'm investigating building an HTPC.

Having read a bit about MythTV/Ubuntu/MCE etc, it all seems wonderful and awesome, but I'm still a little fuzzy on the detail of the STB to HTPC connection.

How do people normally connect (and record from) their STBs to their HTPCs?

I'm thinking that the recording and EPG capabilities of an HTPC are the real selling point, but don't see how even a tuner equipped HTPC can use the guide from my Aliant STB!

Comments/clarifications more than welcome! Thanks!

· Registered
5,485 Posts
You would need to connect the S-video out of the STB to the video input of the HTPC.

As far as the guide goes you would need to configure an IR blaster to change channels on the STB to line up with what the EPG of the HTPC is telling it to do.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it, thanks!

Is there a particular reason you state it must be s-video? I was under the impression that s-video was frowned upon, with people favouring HDMI, DVI or even VGA instead?

There are a bunch of ports on the back of my STB, including HDMI, USB and firewire (if I remember correctly), but I've no idea if Aliant generally enable/disable these on their boxes...

· Banned
427 Posts
there are no consumer pvr's or tuners that will accept hdmi, or dvi or vga for that matter. the hauppage hd-pvr is one of the few that will accept component. the rest are s-video or composite video, which are fine for non-hd sources such as your aliant box. aliant should be rolling out pvr's by the end of the year. you may want to wait as that would give you a more polished user friendly experience. htpc pvr's generally cost more but are more finicky and take alot more work to setup and get working properly. one plus is as big a hard drive as you want.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take your point - thanks again. I think an HTPC can have other benefits as well as it will (hopefully) replace lots of other boxes - dvd/cd player, pvr, living-room-laptop, xbox... it's all about convergence!

It will also add more features to my livingroom like Skype video calling (with a webcam), internet audio/video streams etc etc etc. I'll stop now before I start waxing evangelical about a system I haven't even built/configured yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.