Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over on Broadband DLS Reports, but this seems to be a better place for this question.

I just switched to FiberOp TV and have three receivers/TVs. On the two HD sets, I have an HD PVR and a HD receiver. I have connected both sets to the PVR and receiver on coaxial (tuner), component, and HDMI. On either set, the tuner (coax) and component look very similar, but the HDMI looks highly oversaturated. HDMI is digital, so does this make sense? Is this a hardware issue with the PVR/receiver?

Has anyone noticed the same thing?

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
Welcome martinic

You won't get an HD signal over the coax connection. Whether you get HD over component depends how the STB is configured. (I don't use FibreOP so I can't tell you how to check this).

On your TV you should be able to calibrate each input individually. Just go into the TV menu and make the necessary adjustments for the HDMI input. You can also try changing the STB between 720P and 1080i to see if it makes a difference for your specific TV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply Dr. Dave! Good suggestions there. I'll check what is possible tonight. My main TV is just a Samsung C530 40", so it might not have calibration for each input. I am not an audiophile enthusiast, so I just have lower end equipment.

I was just shocked at how dramatic a difference between HDMI (poor) and the other inputs there is with this equipment. I guess I just expected it to be at least fairly close.

For example, with HDMI with everything at default, skin is red/orange where component has a nice natural skin colour.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank-you both. I read through the faqs and the linked material and took my time and adjusted my sets. The HDMI is definitely superior. My issue was with my tv setups, and nothing to do with the equipment. I used a quality source for my comparisons and all is as it should be.

Thank-you very much for your help!

The C530 is actually a very capable set, from my layman's perpective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts