Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Gzink,

I know Speakout because it is my wife's phone provider and definitely I was thinking of them because they are the only provider with a pre-paid service that allow a duration of 365 days also for small amounts, like 25$.

However, I am more looking for confirmation regarding the communicator, I need to be sure the one I indicated it is working with the PC1832 card.

Let's see if anyone has a say on this.

Thank you,
Alex

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello,

Sorry I didn't get notifications of any replies for some reason. Unfortunately you cannot use one of the DSC cellular communicator cards for self monitoring. They are meant for pro monitoring and reporting via data to a central station. They won't make a voice call.

Ultimately if you're going to go to the trouble of installing a pro level alarm, and what you're protecting is important enough to worry about line cutting or communication reliability then I recommend you get pro monitoring using cell as primary or backup. They can call you, friends, neighbours, fire dept, etc. You may also get an insurance discount for having pro monitoring. Or just get a pro installed & monitored solution.

To roll your own direct dial cell solution off a DSC PC1832 you could leave an additional cellphone in your house, connected via bluetooth to an XLINKBT, which connects to the alarm panel tip & ring (phone terminals). But this is a pretty hokey setup, and my personal opinion as that it adds more failure points and at best would call and beep at you. Plus it is not without cost (phone, XLIINKBT, maybe a UPS backup to make sure the XLINKBT works when power goes out - and then a SIM plan. From what I've seen, most people self monitoring DSC panels are using that EVL4 card I mentioned earlier, via Internet. Next level up is pro monitored cellular. I can't think of another decent option.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi,

Same issue here, I no longer receive the email notifications, very annoying.

So what you are saying is that aartech does not sell something like this?

I could use something like that as primary communicator and an EVL4 as secondary or even vice versa, it does not matter but I need to be covered when the Internet connection is cut.

When the connection is cut by an intruder, is it only the monitoring service company that receives a 'coded' message that somebody has tampered the line?

Or is this also an option with the universal GSM dialers I am referring to?

Thank you,
Alex

·
Registered
102 Posts
No we don't carry this brand and frankly would not stock today, what is essentially a cobbled together kit of a voice dialer, bluetooth link, some randome cellphone and a battery in a box. But you're welcome to go that route if you like. As I said before if you feel your place will be hit and you're worried about line cut you should get monitored via cellular. Like Mike Holmes says, do it right. IMHO.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would recommend that any home security system include outside night vision cameras that point to likely intrusion points. Some require a cloud server, but some also have a local NVR that records the videos when motion is detected. In that case, it's probably best to hide the NVR and use wireless cameras. The motion detection could send a notification to your phone via Internet before the burglar gets to the wires to cut them. Check out https://nightowlsp.com/product/wireless-security.html

As for the motion/door/window sensor part of the system, DIY will be only as good as the skill of 'Y'. A door sensor with a normal-open switch connected in series to a big siren and 12V car battery will probably work fine, but really? Any decent system will need some type of computer controller. It could be a PC or a small Raspberry Pi or Arduino board. There used to be public domain shareware for such systems, but I haven't looked at those in years if they're still around. Then, there has to be a way that the computer can monitor the sensors, also called a "real world interface". It gets pretty complicated very quickly. If you're not able to program a computer, then you're limited to what you find as turnkey systems.

My home security system is part of a complete home automation system that includes lighting and HVAC. I DIY'ed it because that's what I did for a living at one time. Whenever practical, I've used off-the-shelf parts, but have also designed & built some small circuit boards when needed. Aartech has Insteon products that use house wiring plus RF to control lighting and some sensors. I've not looked at trying to build a complete security system with them, but they are used in the lighting part of my home automation, and work very well.

At this point, without knowing your skill level, I really can't be any more helpful.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi All,

I have been 'distracted' by the COVID-19 events, but I am still collecting information.

To re-cap:
I want an alarm system that is able to communicate primarily using the LTE network to my cell + additional numbers.
As a secondary option, the same system could communicate wireless.
I do not want to use a monitoring service and I do not want to discuss this further.

• I looked at the DSC PC1832, but it appears there is no way to get a GSM cellular communicator to send voice messages.
  • I also looked at the HS2032 + TL280LE but it appears this only communicates to a monitoring service, correct?
  • The Elk M1 Gold does not appear to have a C1M1 Dual Path Communicator for the Canadian market? Can anybody confirm this?

Thank you,

Alex

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If any alarm system can only communicate to a monitoring company, is anybody able to suggest any name of a company who ONLY provides monitoring without hardware?

Let's be clear, any of the ones I checked on the Internet offer packages, which means they install their stuff and monitor.
So, I can install a much safer system but I cannot find a company who offers ONLY a monitoring service.

'The Monitoring Center' appear to be the only one I found so far, but they do not cover New Brunswick.
Rogers, Bell, FrontPoint, ADT etc. only offer packages.

This is going to be hilarious guys because you are encouraged to go for controlled monitoring and then they only want to sell you their stuff
It's gonna be fun!

If you have any name of a specific company who can offer only monitoring service in my area, please let me know and I will be happy to contact them.

Thank you!
Alex

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Besides, average discount on the insurance premium you get (if the monitoring company certifies the work done) would be 10%, which is one reason more to avoid the monitoring company.

I will follow up and let you know how I resolved this mockery.

In the meantime, if you have an opinion please feel free to share it.

Regards,
Alex

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi folks,

It appears that I am close to have a solution for the communicator and get it to work the way it should work.
Eyezon will develop by the end of the year, a new board which will include a cellular (LTE) communicator which eventually, will remove the unsafe dependency over the Internet for communications.

Now, the main reason I am posting this forum today is to ask some questions with regards to Keypads and sensors.

Since I will go for a DSC1832 main board and multiple wired sensors, considering that I have a two story home, I wonder if the following makes sense:

- Main Keypad: RFK5500ENG next to main entrance door. This keypad should be wired directly to the PC1832 in the basement
- Secondary Keypad in the garage: Also directly wired to the PC1832
- Another keypad in the Master bedroom upstairs: this one should ideally be 'wireless' to remove any wiring extra-work.

My questions to you:

1) Is the RFK5500ENG the best option I have as a main keypad for the DSC1832?
2) Which keypad would you recommend as a secondary one for the garage? We use both main entrance door and garage to go in/out, so to arm/disarm
3) Can I use a wireless keypad for the Master Bedroom? If so, which one would you suggest?
4) Would the wireless keypad be communicating directly to the PC1832 board or could it also be wirelessly communicating to the wired RFK5500ENG?
5) Does the RFK5500ENG support a keyfob to arm/disarm the alarm?

Window Sensors

1) I have a number of single hung windows, do you have any suggestions for simple wired sensors? Any brand? They should not be bulky and ideally, not even visible from outside.
2) One of them is in the garage, during the winter the temperature can go down up to -5° so I guess this is something to consider too.

Motion Sensors

The DSC LC100PI seems to be enough for my needs unless you tell me that in the garage, being colder, I could have problems and a better option might be something like the LC-104-PIMW-W ??

Door Sensors

I do not want to use the recessed ones, do you have any suggestion for magnetic ones? Any brand that is better that others quality wise?

Thank you for your advice!

Regards,
Alex

21 - 33 of 33 Posts