Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this the proper section for my question BUT....

My alarm clock is dying. And I have always had my eye on devices that have lots of internet stations available via wifi.

I would like a dedicated device to do this. Music I can listen to in my bedroom and use as my alarm clock as well. Wake/sleep.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I looked into this a couple years ago and decided that for my use case (i.e., sleep to podcasts or "new age music" stations, wake up to CBC radio) my iPad with a good alarm clock app would do the trick.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm but I want the better sound than comes from a tablet etc.

I did check out Grace and not the most favorable of reviews.

But might do the trick.

I will keep researching.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Hook up the tablet to a pair of speakers? You're not going to get much better sound out of a sub-$100 alarm clock radio. I know I can't distinguish between my Sony Dream Machine and the iPad for what I listen to at the volume I use. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ugh i dunno what to do or how to do it.

I am currently looking into options.

I do prefer a stand alone unit. But I will see once I investigate more.

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i would also recommend your old smartphone if u have one or a cheap tablet, or a dock for your current device with extra speakers. a few options there and possibly alot cheaper than a new internet clock

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hihi

I do have the google nexus phone as a spare :) which i plan to use with the i home ibn97.

I will see how that goes. If I'm not happy I will return the i home.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Too bad they don't make them anymore, but my best clock radio is the Roku R1000. While a little big, the sound is superb and everything is so smart and easy to use. My power supply died on it (like almost everyone), but I paid to get it fixed and love it. In the meantime, I tried other models like the Pure Siesta Flow (very small, but not logical in design) and a Grace IR1000B which is unstable.

I love listening to morning shows from France while falling asleep at night.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts