Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite a home automation question, but coming from a small condo building.

The building has an existing alarm communications system, and we are looking to change monitoring supplier. The system has a DSC GS3060 GSM/GPRS for cellular data backup communications. One contractor I've interviewed has mentioned wanting to upgrade this to use LTE (4G) nets. My guess is that the new box might be a DSC LE4010 or similar.

This box communicates on 4G LTE, with fallback to 3G if necessary.

My question is whether DSC makes, or is planning to make, a cellular communicator that uses 5G nets with a 4G LTE backup? It's for future-proofing, as 3G nets fade away, even though 5G ubiquity is some years away.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you're planning to continue having it monitored, which I highly recommend - then you're best to get the hardware from the monitoring dealer/installer if you can so that they can support, install & program and not have any excuses for it not working.

In terms of hardware, DSC is LTE/4G as far as I know right now. They also have some supply issues on communicators.

If you're looking for an option that will support 5G when it's more widely available, have your dealers quote or look in to a product called BAT-CONNECT-A from Alula. It supports Ethernet and Cellular. This one uses CAT-1M communications which is 4G now and ready for 5G. It would require pro monitoring but any pro installer should already know about it or should learn about it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alarm Monitoring

Hi:

Many thanks for your reply.

We are interviewing monitoring contractors to replace the existing one, and will most certainly engage a professional to do the installation, programming, testing and monitoring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts