Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved my Airport Express unit from the bedroom to the living room and hooked it up to the L/R Tape inputs on my old Technics SA-DX940 receiver using a mini to RCA cable. The speakers now emit a loud hum and very faint music. What can I do to fix this?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cables are new (Dynex, purchased from Future Shop today). The Airport Express is plugged into one power bar, along with a PS3 and Popcorn Hour. The TV, receiver, and HD PVR are plugged into a second power bar. I'm trying to avoid playing with the power bars if at all possible as that would mean moving the entire system out from the wall in order to access the outlet.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The cables are new (Dynex, purchased from Future Shop today).
They could still be defective. You are better off purchasing cables from an online cable specialty retailer or even eBay. Prices are typically much lower and quality is as good or better than many of the cables that FS and BB carry. I've also seen good cables at local surplus stores that are a fraction of the price that FS and BB charge.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Have you tried using it without the power bar?

I've had loud hum with my Airport Express and it's always been a connection issue - usually not plugged in just right on the unit itself.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that was embarrassing. I was sure the cable was plugged in firmly to the Airport Express but when I twisted it a bit the hum disappeared. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Don't be. We have all done this mistake before. That's why people like cooper talks about it in hopes to help someone. It helped you. ;)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Just as an FYI, the other option (as alluded to above) with the AiportExpress is the optical audio output. A $3 mini-Toslink adapter from m*n*price.com (i.e., you don't have to go to Apple for the special cable) fits onto any ol' optical audio cable and then provides digital audio from the APE to your receiver (provided, of course, that "old" Technics receiver has digital audio input).

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The receiver has three digital inputs but they're all being used (PS3, Popcorn Hour, PVR). I know I overpaid for the cable ($12) but Future Shop is literally a 2 minute walk away and there were some streaming concerts on the web that I wanted to listen to today with the home theatre.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts