Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something to consider if you're looking for a new A/V Receiver this Christmas.

AirPlay (previously called AirTunes when it was for audio only is a proprietary protocol stack/suite developed by Apple Inc. that allows wireless streaming of audio, video, and photos, together with related metadata between devices.

Originally implemented only in Apple's software and devices, Apple has licensed the audio-streaming portion of the AirPlay protocol stack as a third-party software component technology to other manufacturer partners for them to use in their products in order to be compatible with Apple's iDevices.

Please add to the list.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pioneer A/V Receivers with Airplay

• Pioneer A/V Receivers: VSX-1021, VSX-1121
  • Elite A/V Receivers: VSX-50, VSX-51, VSX-52, VSX-53, SC-55, SC-57

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Denon ($50 upgrade fee if you don't already have it)

• AVR-991
  • AVR3311CI
  • ACRA100
  • AVR4311CI

Marantz (upgrade $50 or free on some models)
  • M-CR603
  • AV7005
  • NA7004
  • SR7005

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Post removed. The topic of the thread is Airplay Enable A/V Receivers. It is not about Apple TV. Please add to the list or discuss your experience with such receivers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pioneer A/V Receivers with Airplay

• Pioneer A/V Receivers: VSX-1021, VSX-1121
  • Elite A/V Receivers: VSX-50, VSX-51, VSX-52, VSX-53, SC-55, SC-57
You can also add the VSX-1126-K and VSX-1026-K to the list. Pretty sure these are Future Shop exclusive models but they are identical to the 1121 and 1021 models as far as I can tell. (1026 has an HDMI port on the front though that the 1021 does not have) Just posting this as there may be some confusion between the models as usual with these FS only part numbers. Neither Pioneer Canada or USA list the 1126 or 1026 on their website. The FS models also come with a standard 2 year warranty which I think is another FS exclusive for these.

The 1126 is a fabulous receiver so far in case anyone was wondering. Mine is connected via Cat5 Ethernet and I believe a connection (wired or wireless) to your network is required for Airplay. Pioneer Wireless adaptor is extra for the 1126 and is kinda pricey. ($150?) A friend of mine is testing a D-Link DAP-1350 portable wireless router in Client mode connected to the Ethernet port on his 1126 and so far so good connecting the receiver to his wireless network. It's only about $50 for the Dlink and I believe you can also use an Apple Airport Express wireless router/access point in the same way with the ethernet port on the receiver. Airport Express is $99. Keep ya posted on this as he just started testing it yesterday. Cheers!

EDIT: SC1526K and VSX-1326-K also support Airplay and look to be another couple of FS exclusives. These don't seem to be on the Pioneer websites either.

Update: Just followed up with my friend today and he says the Dlink DAP-1350 is working perfectly in client mode to connect his 1126 receiver to his wireless N network. He is now able to use the Pioneer iControlAV2 app on his smart phone and on his iPad to control the receiver. Memory Express in Edmonton and Calgary sell this for $50 currently and I'm sure you can find it for a similar price in your neck of the woods.

James

·
Registered
72 Posts
Apple Airplay - AVR-1912

Hi Folks,

I was considering grabbing a Denon AVR 1912 for the updated audio formats, and was surprised to see it offered Apple Airplay. Could somebody explain what this does - am I to understand it allows for a wireless interface ( so I can control and play my my itunes library through the home theatre from my kitchen for instance ) between an Ipod Touch/ Iphone / Ipad - and that it also offers access to streaming internet radio/etc ? I was looking at one of the Sonos "Connect" units to do this, but perhaps the Apple Airplay does the same thing ?

Help/advice is appreciated !

·
Registered
37 Posts
It means that you'll be able to choose between hearing the sound of your Mac/iPod/iPhone either through its built-in speakers/headphones or through the AVR wirelessly. Really sweet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I usually stream from the iPad to the receiver using the Remote, TuneIn radio and Rdio apps, so there is plenty of streaming content available. There is some downsampling with airplay, if you care about lossless files. I have some 96 KHz ALAC files which only output at 44.1 KHz when using AirPlay from the Mac to the receiver.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think sonos will stream hir-res apple lossless, well at least the last time I checked.

What is your collection like? cd quality apple lossless 44/16 or higher resulotion? I believe AirPlay will covert everything to 44/16, so if your collection contains mostly these type of files then there is no issue. If however you want higher resolution audio then I think you have to use something other than AirPlay.

·
Registered
145 Posts
2012 Yamaha receivers are now AirPlay enabled as well as being "Made for iPod".
RX V473 models upward and all of the RX Axxx versions; a Yamaha first.

·
Registered
100 Posts
wireless adapter

Looking at purchasing the Denon X2000 with Airplay, was wondering what people are recommending and using for a wireless adapter to connect to home wireless router?
CMack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.