Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
It was never a huge problem, these same airplanes were already flying into an out of Europe and other places where 5g is already deployed just fine.

A lot of it was an internal power struggle between the FAA and FCC. Once push really came to shove, the FAA had to do some real work.

(Course, the FFA has been gutted over the years of deregulation, which is how the 737 Max debacle was allowed to happen.)

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
The issue was never about 5G. It was about the frequencies being used which just happened to be a band assigned for use as 5G. In this case, 5G is a red herring. This shows how the cart is pushing the horse in the US due to partisan politics and misinformation. The FAA should be independently testing airline safety not the airlines pushing the FAA or FCC to do so.

@Tridus, The fact that 5G is deployed in the EU has nothing to do with this issue. The frequencies being used in the US are the issue and it is a US case that has to determined under US conditions. 5G can be deployed on numerous wireless bands so the fact that it is 5G has no relevance.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if this will affect the protection and exclusion zones in this map. Also, initially, the frequencies used in Canada will be at least 500 MHz away from the altimeters, though moving closer later. I supposed we'll soon find out. Rogers is getting ready to install C band gear in the near future. They'll also be removing 2G and 3G on 1.9 GHz and installing 5G there too (I suspect it will be both 4G & 5G on that band, with Dynamic Spectrum Sharing).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.