Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have an MTS install coming in a few weeks and have read a few of the threads regarding others installs.

Other than a HPNA test, are there other things that should happen during the install that I should watch out for?

I also have MTS Internet, so I am wondering if there is anything that the installer will do to check my internet speed as well. I am expecting that with the switch to ultimate that I should be getting faster internet speeds (I am on lightning plan).

Basically I am just looking for your advice on what to make sure gets done before the installer leaves.

Unless Macman or MTSguy want to come out and do the install, then I know it will be right. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just a heads up on the install, when i got mine installed it was done by a outside company hired by mts and they come in and do a fast and loose job while cutting corners. Don't be surprised if you have to call mts after install. My only tip is to be firm with install and watch over thier work and only sign when you are satisfied. Goodluck:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have more than 1 TV make sure to get new RG6 cable run. They got lazy and used the older RG59 that was already run in my place and it has caused much grief.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'd love to do your install, but since I started working directly for MTS, I'm only doing basic voice installation and repair service for the time being. It's a nice change of pace!

From my experience, you'll only see an improvement in your internet speeds if your Classic TV service was running at 17 or 20 meg. If it was at 26 meg, you probably won't see any change except maybe the upload. But at least with Ultimate, you'll be eligible for faster internet plans if you want. And it comes with it's own wireless router.

As far as the installation goes, like the others have said, make sure that any existing coax cable is good quality RG6. If it's questionable (dollar store variety, or copper braided wire, or cheap crimp on ends) have the installer replace it. There shouldn't be any charge to replace any existing coax that isn't up to snuff.

Oh, and make sure they snug up all the cable ends with a wrench, use the proper HPNA splitters, and run the HPNA test.

Let us know how it goes :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses everyone.

My existing TV is Shaw Direct and it where it comes into my house is on the other side from where I think MTS will be coming from. (If the Ultimate TV is coming from the same place as my MTS Internet and Phone).

So I'm pretty sure that they are going to need to run Coax lines to TV's 2 and 3. They will also run two lines to the "main" TV as well right? Cat5?

How do I tell what a proper HPNA splitter looks like?

As far as the internet thing, I do not have Classic TV at the moment. But I do pay for the Lightning plan. On the MTS website it says that you need to have Ultimate TV to get the max speed of the ultimate plan (I think it's 7 MPS). That is why I was thinking my speed should go up. Right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I had Ultimate TV installed, I ran a Cat5 myself from where the service came in to where my TV is. There it hooked up to the 2Wire router, and then the 2Wire to the STB. I only have the one TV, so installation was much more simple. The installer knew just the bare minimum, and I would have been worried if the install involved more TVs or was more elaborate. The installer commented that I knew more about the install than him (just from reading through the forums here), and offered to let me finish it while he ran out to get a coffee and then brought the paperwork back for me to sign.

Unfortunately, I think it's a bit of a gamble who you get to do it, and keeping an eye on them the whole time while being familiar with the process is your best bet to avoid a problem down the line.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Watch out for a few things:

The main PVR box needs to be on CAT5 (square plug).

Your computer, if currently wired to the Internet needs to remain wired.

You may also want to test making a recording of a few minutes and playing it back to another tv pausing, rewinding, etc. as you play it back. Any delay is an incorrect install.

If they are running new lines try to get them to run CAT5 to all tvs as it makes a difference in performance.

Finally, make sure they take time to program the remotes to control your tv, etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

Just so I understand properly:

1) The TV service will come into the house at the same point that my phone and Internet currently is?

2) The room with my desktop is right next to the entry point. Would I want the 2 wire right next to the computer, and the cat5 to TV1 and coax to TV 2 and 3 run from there? Is the 2 wire usually beside the desktop, or the main tv? What is run from the entry point to the 2 wire?

3) If I ran cat5 (or cat6) to tv's 2 and 3, would they use it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
1) The TV service comes in where your phone lines/internet do. I connected a new Cat5 to the box where my phone lines are, and ran it to the 2Wire.

2) I don't think it matters where the 2Wire is. As mentioned, it is connected to the entry point via Cat5. TV1 is then connected via Cat5 to the 2Wire. The advantage to having the 2Wire beside your desktop is the ability to plug directly into it with your computer and it's close to the entry point. The 2Wire is also a wireless-G router and internet can be accessed via wireless if that is how you are currently connected, which would mean you could place the 2Wire wherever you want, depending on which way you wire it.

3) I don't see why not. The runs will have to be from the 2Wire to the 2 other TV's, so that may determine your 2Wire placement.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My experience is that if CAT6 wiring is in place for tvs other than the PVR unit the tech will use them. If the tech does not use them you can change over to them on your own after.

There is a post somewhere on the forums where another user has had some success running one of the MTS Ultimate tv boxes off a router rather than a direct connection to the 2wire, however the direct connection to the 2wire is preferred.

As for where your coxial cables will connect, it depends on the installer, the quality of any existing connections and a number of other difficult to predict variables. It is possible tv2 and tv3 will connect to a fourth location such as where your existing cable service enters the house, and then from the fourth location to the 2wire.

How the setup is done is going to be open to some influence by you. If you have a plan for how you want the cables run, ask them. Also do testing while they are there if you think something was done wrong to help support your point of view. When it is done if you are unhappy with it how likely would be to keep the service? That is something the installers need to keep in mind.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hey huffer

usually we put the gateway (2wire) in the basement by the electrical panel where the entrance comes in. from there we will run cat5 to your PVR 1216 location and 1 cat5 to your PC location. If you do not have cable outlets by your other TV's MTS does charge $25 per outlet to run lines to them. Yes lots of installers like to cut corners and its unfortunate. I am a contractor but I am told I am better than lots of Employees by some of my MTS Supervisors. Lots of people think that just becuase someone drives an MTS van they know more than a contractor. What they dont realize is that an Employee can be a complete dumb ass but has a job at MTS due to the union protecting him. Sorry for my rant. any more questions, im here to help!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your response MTSGuy. What's your thoughts around the suggestions to run Cat5 to all the TV's and not just the TV with the PVR?

I realize that MTS will not do that, but I could always do it before my install.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Huffer, when I first got Ultimate I had an opportunity to play around with many different combinations of CAT5 and coxial cable and call tell you regardless of the setup, if coxial was involved there were playback issues with recorded content. Based on these experiments I concluded that CAT5 is the only way to have Ultimate boxes contected and since doing that I have not had an issues.

·
Super Moderator
17,037 Posts
I seem to recall there was discussion in this forum that there were some issues with coax and they would be fixed in a future software release. We've had a new software release since then, but I don't think anyone confirmed that the coax issues were resolved.

·
Registered
76 Posts
yes i realize there are coax issues out there. i cant see any problems what so ever with Fresh RG 6 with HPNA splitters. it is a combination of shitty installers and dumb home owners.

today i was at a house and the people had just moved in and were getting MTS ultimate. The people in the house before HAD ultimate so when i looked at the work order i thought hmmm piece of cake.

when i got there the previous home owner wired the whole house with dollar store rg59 cable and used dollar store splitters and the last installer used all this crap! i ripped everything out and installed fresh RG6.

If it makes you fell comfortable ask the installer to run CAT5 but i'll be honest with you, if its Brand New RG6 cables with proper ends and the right splitter, i dont think you are going to have a problem.

Our HPNA Test tests the SNRs and Quality of the coax network with in your home. The minimum date rate for the coax to pass this test is 96 Mbps and Most of the time RG6 coax is capable of 112 Mbps which is slightly faster than the 100 Mbps that CAT5 transfers.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've now had the install done and thought I should provide an update.

Everything went well. I think it really helped that I had moved all the ceiling tiles in my basement, and already had an idea as to where I wanted everything to go.

We ran a cat5 cable from the entry point to the next room where the computer is. That's where we put the gateway. From there we ran a cat5 to the main box, and RG6 to TV's 2 and 3.

I have played around a little with TV's 2 and 3 (with recordings and stuff), and everything seems to be working fine.

He also programmed the remotes, and made sure everything was working before he left. All in all I think it went well, but I was also helping so that made things go easier as well.

On the internet side I ran a few speed-tests before and after. My download speed is a little better. I was getting around 5.75 to 6 mps down before and am now closer to 6.5 to 7 (I am on lightning so that is close to max). The bigger improvement was on the upload speed. I think I was around .4 MPS before and the first few speed-tests I ran I was around 1.75 (I think, I don't have the numbers in front of me).

I don't know how much the increased upload speeds will change things in the real world, but I figure it can't be a bad thing.

Lastly, I have a question for the MTS installers. Or anyone I guess who has networking knowledge I guess.

After we ran the cat5 cable to the gateway, the tech cut the cable and opened the wire to put on the connector. I was watching him put the wires into the punch tool and the only wires he connected to the connector were the Blue and White Blue I think. He defiantly didn't connect all the colors. I asked him about it and he said it didn't matter if he connected all the colors because the ones he connected were the only ones being used anyway.

I just wanted to get other installers opinions and explanations. Is this standard? Does it make sense? I certainly haven't seen any negative effects as everything seems to work properly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
That white and blue/blue pair is very likely hooked up to the phone line which is coming into your house. A traditional analog phone line only uses 1 pair of cables, and can be crimped in either an RJ11 (typical) /RJ12/RJ45 connector

·
Registered
76 Posts
yes like timmy said

that is the line coming from the wilcom over by the entrance. it is just a phone line carrying the VDSL2 signal. all that is used is the blue pair. i personally would have punched all the colors down to keep things consistent and it only takes 2 extra seconds. but that is just me. you shouldnt have any problems. did he install the RG-6 at the time or was it existing. like i said, with RG-6 with compression ends you shouldn't have any problems. did you notice if he pulled out his laptop and ran an HPNA test?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yeah, crimping all 6 into the rj11/non cat 5 end adds rigidity too which may prevent troubles. I havent had a chance to use the new hpna tool yet. Is it way better than the terrible program they were using?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts