Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading conflicting opinions about long (20ft) HDMI cables. I've always purchased cheap cables and have never had issues but I require a 15-20ft HDMI to connect a computer to a 50" Panasonic S-Series Plasma. Is there anything I should be looking for in a cble of this length or should I do as I always have and get a fairly cheap one?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Go cheap. But even at monoprice, mid quality is still pretty inexpensive. Shipping will likely be more than the price of the cable itself.

I have a 35ft run with one 20' connected to another 15' and have no issues for over 3 years. Got the cheapest HDMI cables from monoprice.

·
Registered
374 Posts
An option I have used is the HDMI over Cat5/6 converters that they sell at Monoprice. You need two cat5 cables which are much cheaper than HDMI. Saves on shipping a long HDMI.

That being said, I also have a 30 ft HDMI (from Monoprice) running to my projector with no problems, your 20ft run should be no problem.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Purchase the largest ga you can and you'll be fine. I purchased a 25' 22ga CL2 cable online and have no problems. Delivered price was under $40. (Smaller number = larger gauge) At that length, do not purchase 28 ga even if it might work.

A 22 or 24 ga cable will be quite large and stiff, so it should be well supported where it goes into the equipment so you don't damage the HDMI port and you'll need lots of room behind the equipment for a large radius bend.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent advice guys. That's just what I was hoping to hear. Will definitely go with the heaviest gauge I can get for a reasonable price.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Problem won't be the cable. I'm using 30+ feet of cable between my projector and my HDMI receiver located at the front of the room under a 120" screen. No issues. Also purchased at Monoprice.

The problem is the TV. Come'on a 50" Plasma? You need to go bigger!

(Just kidding)

P

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have to agree with you! 50 was bigger than I thought I needed but I took the good advice here and got it anyway. Glad I did. Next one will be 65 minimum!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ordered myself a 20ft 22AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cable. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
360 Posts
ZirG, I have the same cable you just ordered. I ran it from my plasma around to the couch so I can plug in the macBook to get streaming sites up on the big screen (network tv sites etc).

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was gonna say just ensure it's certified but no one mentioned it and it looks like good experiences so far with the cheap monoprce cable. So go for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts