Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother used to be a SC sub in 2001. He has two old 301 receivers he offered to give me. The account was in good standing. They are stored outside in his shed. Will these even work on SD anymore?
I've read that one possibility is that the CMOS battery might be dead in which case they will be doorstops. If they still work, will I be getting all my channels except the HD ones? I'm presently with a 630 PVR with french favourites and a couple of other stations.

If they don't work I noticed BB has the 209 for half price, but these are very basic without svideo, antenna pass through and only one rca video out. Should I go with these instead for future compatibility?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi velix,

Assuming they're not defective in any way, they will work fine. You can get both satellites, but no HD and no 8PSK SD channels (there are only a handful of these).

The 301 doesn't have S-video but I believe has the antenna pass through and 2 sets of RCA outputs. I will confirm at work tomorrow. The 301 is significantly larger than both the 630 and the 209.

The 209 gives you the advantage of 8PSK compatibility and a new remote control. Plus, it's a new receiver so far less likely to die in the near future. At the end of the day, free is free so it doesn't hurt to give them a try :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I did find an online pic of the 301 on ebay and it has only one rca and no S-video, but I saw the antenna pass through.

I'm looking for a list of the 8psk channels and can only find:

the HD channels (irrelevant to the 301 since it can't do HD) plus
ATN, Odyssey, EWTN, Fairchild, SRC Edmonton and SRC Winnipeg.

Are there anymore?
I'm subscribed to prime time, cinepop and action.
Are any of these on 8psk?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
AUXTV, PetTV are also 8psk. I think there are a couple more, but I can't think of them. You should be fine with the package you have.

·
Registered
301 Posts
More on 301 versus 209

At the current time, Primetime, Cinepop and Action are not 8PSK.

The 301 has 1x RCA output, RF (coaxial) and antenna passthrough, and a modem for instant PPV ordering. The 209 doesn't have the modem or the antenna passthrough.

Another consideration I forgot to mention is the Guide available on the 301 versus the 209.

The 301 Guide looks like this. There is no picture-in-Guide or Info display while in the Guide. It's also slow.

The 209 has the newer-style Guide, with picture-in-Guide and mini-info display.

Both have ~2.5 days of programming information and a similar level of detail. You'll probably find the 209 to provide a better experience if you use the Guide frequently.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've bought two 209 since they were half price and the guide is very important for us. I know they are 8psk compatible.
I searched to find out if they were mpeg4 compatible and could not find an answer.
I could also get one dsr319. I know the guide is the same, has s-video, digital sound and is 8psk compatible, is it mpeg4 compatible?

If not are the 605 and the 630 the only ones compatible for mpeg4?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Nobody (I heard or read) has said for definite sure the 6xx receivers are for sure MPEG4, but it seems they are the only ones which are or will be.
It seems providers that are using a hybrid MPEG2/MPEG4 system are sticking to MPEG2 for SD channels, and putting only HD channels on MPEG4.
It is just as cost effective on the uplink end, plus do not have to replace as many customer receivers, by leaving SD channels MPEG2.

They are supposedly working on a reduced size 605, called the 609. It should receive all the channels the 605 will.

All of the Standard Def receivers and the 500 are MPEG2 only. The 505/530 are MPEG4 compatible with a card; but there is no apparent intention to go that route. The DSR319 is the same as the 209 internally, but with the extra outputs and front buttons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts