Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Just finishing renovating rec room. I plugged in a 3100 receiver that wasn't plugged in for a while. Most of the channels are there except for a lot of the locals I have on my other 2 TV's. I tried synchronizing on Bell TV website, tried check switch, tried pulling out card and tried plugging and unplugging receiver and still I am missing a lot of the local channels. Anybody know what else I could try?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I called bell a couple of days ago and they sent a hit to my receiver and that didn't work. So they deleted my receiver and added it again and about an hour later all the my channels were there.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
This normally a last resort but it works most of the time, so it is a usefu way to restore programming, sadly not all CSR's are aware of it and need to be pushed into trying it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Old 3100 useless?

My parents had a spare Bell 3100 sitting up in the closet. Probably since at least 2010. Little did they know it was missing important updates (I'm aware Bell is using a completely different satellite now).

We had a Bell installer here to hook up some extra coax cables into the house and he took a look at it while he was here. It sees "Wrong Sat" with 100% signal strength. He did not seem to think that the smart card was out of date. But he explained to us that it needs a software update which it will never be able to receive from the satellite, because it's looking for the old satellite that no longer transmits.

I had a chat with a Level 1 tech who could of course not do anything about it either. He seemed very convinced that he could push an update to it but nothing happened. (How can he push an update through a satellite it won't listen to?)

Anyway Bell won't replace it because it's not a rental. I thought I'd ask here if the unit is basically a brick in this condition, or if it actually can be updated somehow?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have a 3100 from 2003 that I have in one of the bedrooms that still works fine. Did you try doing a check switch. That usually fixes the problem when it says wrong satellite.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a 3100 from 2003 that I have in one of the bedrooms that still works fine. Did you try doing a check switch. That usually fixes the problem when it says wrong satellite.
Yes the tech did it with us, and the Level 1 chat tech did it too. It sees the signal but still says wrong satellite. The tech put in a quad to replace the twin we had so we can run 4 cables into the house, but the Check Switch screen still says twin.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
What are the first digits of the smart card, S04, S06, S10, S22 or other?
Are you able to tune to Channel 271 the free preview channel? You should be able to view it as it is a true free to air channel, and won't matter what software the receiver has.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Remove the coax from the back of the 3100, run a Check Switch, when it fails, save the result.

Then connect the line, run a Check Switch again, hopefully this time it will show both birds.

Also, to update software, just turn the 3100 off, it should download new software if available within a few minutes.

Bell have used the Sat at 91 degrees for many many years, so it is not true that it was looking at the wrong sat.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The software will update, it can or should be able to recognize the signal from 91.

What Signal Levels are you getting?

Even an old 3100 with software from several years ago, will still get the free preview channels perfectly.

the Check Switch screen still says twin.
That shows that the receiver is not seeing the Quad, so It appears to be a cable/connector issue.

When you run a Check Switch with nothing connected, does it run through 38 steps?

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's not connected now so I'd have to schedule another troubleshooting session later. The cable to the satellite is fine as our SD PVR has no trouble getting reception when connected to it.

Signal is 100% but Wrong Sat.

EDIT - actually it turns out the 3100 has been plugged in for at least a solid day but now when I turn it on there's nothing sent to the TV at all, just static. That's weird.

Switched back to the 5900 - on the same cable it's definitely seeing Nimiq 91 at 100%.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Today I decided to try and watch the rec room TV. This is a SD TV and has a Bell 3100 Receiver. I get a message saying the smart card currently inserted is not valid with this receiver. Has anybody else tried using a 3100 receiver lately? If I call Bell will they send a new smart card?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have an old 3100 in a bedroom and it still works fine. I don't turn it off unless I'm leaving the house for a number of days in a row. The only issue I've noticed is that the PEACH ch. from Atlanta says I'm not subscribed, but the channel works fine in HD on my 6131 receiver.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have two 3100's still running and doing just fine. My mom's 86 and they are for her TV's ... I like to keep it simple for her.
There is a card swap going on so maybe you need new cards?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Silly question (3100)

I used to be a Bell tech but that's been 6 or 7 years ago so my memory is very fuzzy. My in laws have acquired a 3100 but it has no smart card.

I cannot for the life of me remember if those receivers all had external smart card or if they had some that were external and some internal like the 4100. I'm nowhere near them or I would hook it all up and figure that out.

Does anyone know the answer to my question?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts