Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of the channels in the 370's are labelled as Pay Per View channels, so even if you subscribe to them, they will display on the TV, but if you have a PVR and want to record something on that channel, it will pop up with a message stating:

"This program must be ordered before a recording can be set."
1. BUY: Order
2. I have ordered by phone
3. Don't order.

My question is because I have already subscribed to this channel, can I click I have ordered by phone and it will record. (I would assume this would be better than buy: order) But my question is... will I get double charged? Does anyone who works for Shaw know how this works or what method is best for this. I don't want to have to call Shaw everytime. lol

Secondly; Another annoyance is when you click this it will record the whole six hour block of whatever was in that pay per view package....WHy doesn't Shaw have two feeds of the same channel, one for PPV and another for Subscription Service.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply - I will try that, but if I were to click I have ordered this by phone? Does that actually send a signal to the head office, or does it just tell the box yes the customer is aware so tune to that channel anyways?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure myself about choosing "phone" and how that works, just didn't want to take the chance of an additional charge. If you are surfing the guide and hit the 'record' button on the remote, it will record the whole package, if you check the information of the show and choose "record', you get the

"This program must be ordered before a recording can be set."
1. BUY: Order
2. I have ordered by phone
3. Don't order.

message.

Then I tried the 'set a recording' and that works just fine for me so I never did look into how else I could program a recording on those channels. Set your recordings to start 10 minutes before and 10 minutes after, I found that the schedule is not as accurate as regular channels.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply - I will try that, but if I were to click I have ordered this by phone? Does that actually send a signal to the head office, or does it just tell the box yes the customer is aware so tune to that channel anyways?
If you subscribe to the channel you should not be charged if you select I have ordered by phone. Any recording will be set to record the entire 6 hour block even if you only want 1 show. As others have advised if you set a recording by day time and channel you will be able to record just 1 show.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Since the recent guide update, only Playboy shows up in the channel list when setting a manual timed recording. Is there any solution to this other than using 'ordered by phone' and recording an entire 6 hour block?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
We have raised this challenge and unfortunately we have yet to come up with a workaround. It's not just the adult channels but any PPV channel was tagged like this so customer's do not accidentally set a recording on a PPV and get billed in error. Unfortunately this is currently with the engineering team and we do not have an eta for when this will be corrected.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can you confirm that I won't get billed when using the "ordered by phone" 'trick'? (I sure hope not, I've used it several times now...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts