Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an ADT alarm system, and for a couple of months now have been using the SHAW digital phone service here in Calgary. So far, 2 times (once was hardware failure) the alarm has went off when it should not have. The second was because Shaw was performing maintenance on the 'line' at 1AM and turned the connection off - hence the alarm went off after the phone line 'went down'. Now, if I leave for the weekend, I cannot arm the alarm because if the Shaw line goes down, the alarm will go off and the only ones which will know this are my neighbors - as it obviously cannot call ADT!

I have talked to ADT and they say TS basically - and that the cell module is not available in Calgary.
Shaw says they are working with ADT - but who knows how long before something actually happens.

Is it possible to have the alarm system ignore the status of the phone line while the system is armed? In the same way the system ignores the motion sensor when it is put on stay.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Is it possible to have the alarm system ignore the status of the phone line while the system is armed?
I think you would have to ask ADT that question because generally the answer is no.

With my system if the phone line goes down the alarm monitoring system is supposed to be notified. The reason for this is to prevent thieves disabling your alarm system by simply cutting the phone line.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
I'm with ADT (Toronto) and if the phone line doesn't call in, I think I get a "trouble" light and a "beep" on my touchpad (DSC 1500). The alarm doesn't go off. The alarm should only go off if there is a break-in.

Someone may have programmed your touchpad incorrectly.

If it doesn't call in for a couple of nights or so, then ADT check by calling me I believe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hugh said:
I think you would have to ask ADT that question because generally the answer is no.

With my system if the phone line goes down the alarm monitoring system is supposed to be notified. The reason for this is to prevent thieves disabling your alarm system by simply cutting the phone line.
Yes, I know why a system would monitor the status of the phone line. However, if someone cuts the line, THEN breaks in - the alarm will go off because one of the doors/windows have been opened...I am just looking for a solution to try and keep the digital phone (because of cost savings), yet be able to use the alarm system still....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
57 said:
I'm with ADT (Toronto) and if the phone line doesn't call in, I think I get a "trouble" light and a "beep" on my touchpad (DSC 1500). The alarm doesn't go off. The alarm should only go off if there is a break-in.

Someone may have programmed your touchpad incorrectly.

If it doesn't call in for a couple of nights or so, then ADT check by calling me I believe.

Interesting...that, to me is how I would like my system configured but ADT is saying it's not possible.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I’ve worked for VIA security, Bell Guardian, and later I did 4 years with ADT so I know a thing or two about alarms.

57, the DSC 1500 is a basic 6 zone system and I’ve installed 100’s of them back then. This panel doesn’t have any telephone line voltage monitor (TLM). It however can be programmed to do a communicator test once per day. If it fails to communicate with the station after repeated attempts it will only turn on the trouble light and beep @ the pad.

BurnMaxx, your system does have a telephone line voltage monitor. More advanced system have this feature. When enabled the TLM will watch for a constant voltage between 3 and 48 volts. If the voltage drops below 3 volts the panel will turn on the siren after about 5 minutes. It will only report to the station if programmed to do so... that the line is once again ok if it gets the landline back... or switches to a cellular backup. The TLM can be disabled in the programming menu. Depending on the type of system ADT should be able to call into it to change programming parameters.

BurnMaxx, what model of system do you have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HDTV101 said:
I’ve worked for VIA security, Bell Guardian, and later I did 4 years with ADT so I know a thing or two about alarms.

57, the DSC 1500 is a basic 6 zone system and I’ve installed 100’s of them back then. This panel doesn’t have any telephone line voltage monitor (TLM). It however can be programmed to do a communicator test once per day. If it fails to communicate with the station after repeated attempts it will only turn on the trouble light and beep @ the pad.

BurnMaxx, your system does have a telephone line voltage monitor. More advanced system have this feature. When enabled the TLM will watch for a constant voltage between 3 and 48 volts. If the voltage drops below 3 volts the panel will turn on the siren after about 5 minutes. It will only report to the station if programmed to do so... that the line is once again ok if it gets the landline back... or switches to a cellular backup. The TLM can be disabled in the programming menu. Depending on the type of system ADT should be able to call into it to change programming parameters.

BurnMaxx, what model of system do you have?
The picture of the keypad matches the picture in the instruction manual for a KP5501Z.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ADT Focus 32

Is that what you are looking for? I did not open the box, the Focus 32 is stamped on the front cover of the box installed downstairs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent news! Thank you for this information! Now I just have to find out the installer code, or go to ADT with this information. Do the systems come with a 'default' installer code which I could try? Is the system going to do anything strange if I try a code and it is wrong?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
default installer code on that box was 5010 but I'm sure they changed it. Alot of alarm companies liked to use the account number as the installer code.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well just got off the phone with ADT - they are coming out Tuesday to see what they can do.

I mentioned TLM to both parties I talked to, and they had no idea what I was talking about...that does not sound good!

·
Registered
1 Posts
is all resolved

Burnmaxx I was just curious if all the issues you were having with ADT were resolved... I think if you need further assistance you can email [email protected] I think all the emails that go in there get dispursed to the right people... hope all works out

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately, no issues have been resolved. I have an alarm system which I cannot arm while I am away from the house. ADT came out to try what was suggested, but said it would not fix the problem and noted I had an 'incompatible system'.
When my contract is up, I will be changing to an alarm company which supports SHAW Digital...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts