Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new to the site found it searching on google, question I have is if I want to add another Motorola VIP1200 to my current MTS TV setup, how is this done do they need to be added into the 2wire system or is it a matter of me just connecting to the already existing coax cable? I can purchase one from someone and would like to add one more box. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
I don't think you can add a purchased VIP1200 to MTS TV. MTS doesn't sell the boxes - they only rent them. So if someone is trying to sell you an MTS box it is probably stolen.

If the box is from another provider, I'm not sure if it will work with MTS.

Each MTS box has to be registered and is linked to the specific port on the fibre-optic node that your service is connected to. So you can't just add a box without MTS assistance.

The VIP1200 can be connected to the 2Wire modem by Ethernet or coax. If you use coax, you should only use HPNA splitters - regular cable splitters can cause problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, I was just wondering if other providers would work or not, i would like to get another box but MTS is saying that It will cost me 99 dollars to have them set it up. Not willing to pay that, as everything is done its a matter of connecting and typing in a couple of numbers to the router or their system to activate the box

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
Only MTS can tell you if their codes will work with other provider's boxes. I doubt they will just give out the code though, since I think each code is a unique software licence.

The only thing I can suggest is to try and negotiate a lower install fee if everything is pre-wired and they don't have to do any wiring or testing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
something doesnt sound right. MTS usually charges $45 for a truck roll. If cabling is place thats all you should pay. If an outlet needs to be added its $45 + $25 for the cable run so $70 total if there is no outlet.

No you can not bring another companies box onto the MTS network, nor can you pick a box up at an MTS Store. An installer needs to come out, change the splitter and run an HPNA test to verify the cabling is adequate for trouble free use. If you complain enough you might be able to get them to wave the $45 charge.

hope this helps :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts