Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a Gray-Hoverman antenna that points to Mt. Seymour in Vancouver for picking up hdtv. I've plugged my antenna cable into an fm tuner and tried to receive citr (ubc radio). Citr is pretty much at 90º to the direction that the antenna points, and I don't get a very good signal. I was thinking about building a yagi antenna for citr. My question is: can I join the two cables from the two antennas together, with one cable routed down & around the house, and then split it again into two signals (one for tv and one for fm)? I know that my tv feed can be split, it is plenty strong.

thanks

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
You should try adding the Top-Hat Narod to ur GH antenna.
It's designed to get ya some VHF-HI, but would be easy enough
to implement and test whether it gets ya some FM as well.

See the OTA , Antenna Research
& Development section.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
FM radio is not close to VHF-HI (and especially not UHF) in the broadcast frequency spectrum, so your GH antenna is not a good candidate for FM band reception no matter how you try to modify it. A simple dipole antenna will do the trick, and you can even cut it to the exact size to work best with CITR on 101.9 from UBC if other stations are of less interest. You would aim it perpendicularly to the station and run the output to your FM receiver. As for joining the output of the two antennas, be thankful that the Mt. Seymour DTV stations are all UHF, meaning that potential second harmonics from the FM band won't affect them. This means that you should be able to combine them up on the roof with no problems, but testing will be required.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
Years ago, I recall seeing splitters designed for combining FM, VHF & UHF antennas onto one cable. Are they still around?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.
I've been pretty busy so I haven't played around with this yet. I've also read a bit about 1/2 wave vertical antennas, but I haven't found many details and I would just be guessing at what one of these puppies would look like.

I'll maybe try something in the next week or so.

cheers

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
There can be 1/2 wave, end fed verticals. It's all a matter of engineering. One example of an end fed 1/2 wave antenna is the Zepp, which is fed at one end with a high impedance line. There also co-linear designs that produce a 1/2 wave end fed antenna. Of course, he could be referring to a vertical dipole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts