Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older stereo receiver (Yamaha RX-450) in my living room that feeds two wired in-wall speakers quite adequately. I currently use this receiver to listen to Stingray music, feeding it via analogue audio connections from my Rogers digital cable box. The receiver only has analogue audio inputs - no digital inputs.

Instead of using the cable box, I would occasionally like to use my iPad to "stream" music to the receiver via bluetooth.

I have just started basic research into an adaptor - examples below:

ebay search for "2in1 Bluetooth Transmitter&Receiver Wireless A2DP Home TV Stereo Audio Adapter"

or

ebay search for "Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Transmitter Receiver Adapter for Car Music Laptop AUX Stereo"

Would something like this do the trick? I would leave it plugged in full time. I see the very inexpensive devices only have USB for power, so I'd purchase a 110V to USB adaptor to feed power to this device (sample link below). Some (more expensive) bluetooth adaptors do have 110V power options...

ebay search for "AC 110V-240V to DC 5V 500mA USB For 2 Pin US Plug Charger HOT Power Adapter K0F1"

Any other comments, suggestions, options appreciated.

Additional more expensive links:

https://www.amazon.ca/BE-RCA-Bluetooth-Wireless-Receiver-Streaming/dp/B07XMRMK6F/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3LD7OFRBVRY4P&keywords=bluetooth+adapter+for+home+stereo&qid=1583814089&sprefix=bluetooth+adapter,aps,166&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.ca/1Mii-B06-Plus-Bluetooth-Streaming/dp/B07JMPGRNB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3LD7OFRBVRY4P&keywords=bluetooth+adapter+for+home+stereo&qid=1583814089&sprefix=bluetooth+adapter,aps,166&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUzQ3T0pGR05IRklKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjQwMDcxM09XM0w1S0JURUZISiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzkxNDM3Mk1FUjk3T1JCSzVBQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-980-000910-Bluetooth-Audio-Adapter/dp/B00IQBSW28/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3LD7OFRBVRY4P&keywords=bluetooth+adapter+for+home+stereo&qid=1583814089&sprefix=bluetooth+adapter,aps,166&sr=8-3

·
Registered
30 Posts
The links and searches all look good and have good prices. Bluetooth isn't that hard, though some are flaky and that's no fun. And there's no good way to tell until you try to live with one. I'd wonder if your receiver has a USB port that might power a unit.

I have had a couple of really simple things that plug into a USB port, receive Bluetooth, and emit audio through a 3.5mm jack. One was horrible, one was great. I think the one I liked was a Phiaton brand.

My first thought was how much I love my Amazon Echo Dot - it does Bluetooth stuff really well, better than anything I've had, as well as having a Spotify client among much other functionality. But it's total robbery that they want $69CDN for it. I got my units for $25US each, one Black Friday and two refurb. I got an Echo Auto, as well, and like it, except that it can't play a thing off Spotify as much as it tries.

Rob T

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Bluetooth (BT) 4.2 or 5.0 is a very good idea. Lower versions lack some features and may have low quality audio. AptX Low Latency is a good idea since bluetooth audio delays can be significant. That's more of an issue for video with separate audio over BT.

The device in the first link is described as a receiver but the picture is of a transmitter. The device in the third link has no BT version specified. I would avoid it.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
yes adding a blue tooth dongle to your receiver will work, make sure it supports the latest Bluetooth standards, secondly, instead of a 120 to 5v transformer, you can use any usb wall charger providing it has the correct usb connector since this is essentially the same thing. chromecast audio is also a good suggestion but its been discontinued for a year so you would have to find one from a retailer who still has inventory,i found one last year for about 20-30 price range which was very good, plus no shipping as it was offline shopping not online picked it up and had it working in no time. i use it for parties casting my google play music, spotify, and tunedin to my stereo, plus if my phone/tablet goes out of range or shuts off due to low battery, the cast will still continue playing as opposed to blue tooth which will stop playing music once you go out of range

·
Super Moderator
56,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@zapattack : Thank you for that suggestion. I was thinking along the lines of streaming while still using the iPad for surfing, etc. However, once I get a new iPad, I may dedicate this old one to music, in which case I wouldn't mind using a cable.

In the meantime I've ordered the following off ebay: Put the following into the ebay search.

"2-in-1 Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter & Receiver Stereo Music Audio Adapter TV PC Car"

DH doesn't allow us to put in ebay links... It's very inexpensive and has BT5.0, so I thought it would be worth a try. I've also ordered a 110V to USB adaptor for power.

"AC 110V-240V to DC 5V 500mA USB For 2 Pin US Plug Charger HOT Power Adapter K0F1" Both items will total less than C$9.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
It's possible to use device USB ports for power. TVs, PVRs, AV receivers and other devices often have USB 2.0 ports that supply 0.5A. USB 3.x ports can supply up to 1.0A. It doesn't save much money but can make for a cleaner installation. The main drawback is that the BT adapter must be unplugged to use the USB port for something else.

·
Super Moderator
56,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, nothing nearby with USB, hence the $2 adaptor.

Of course your information may be useful for others with slightly different applications. The items may not arrive for many weeks, but I'll report back once I've tested.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
if its the square little box with the TX / RX toggle switch one that i see. It looks decent. its got a battery in it with 6 hours playback and a micro usb connector so any standard cell phone charger with a micro usb will charge it and all it does is pickup the bluetooth transmission from the tablet and output it via analog into your stereo receiver. pretty straight forward. it also can be used backward to transmit a analog audio out signal to a wireless bluetooth headset or bluetooth headphones such as beats by apple doctor dre. pretty sick ya it should work

·
Super Moderator
56,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have received the item mentioned in post 6 of this thread. I can't believe how small it is (I measured it at 40mm x 40mm x 10 mm). When it arrived in the mailbox, I thought it was missing the main component. It works well based on the few hours I've used it.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I recently purchased a BT transmitter as well. Needed aptx-LL for minimal audio delay using headphones with TV and digital optical Toslink with passthrough. Needless to say, those features drove up the price quite a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts