Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these two antennas anywhere comparable?

The 91XG boasts a max gain of 16.7 while the Wade is 17- that's very close.

I wonder if one of these figures is more accurate?

The 91XG is a feather at 6.5 pounds, while the Wade is a chunky 25 pounds- big difference- would the Wade hold up on a standard tower? I take it the Wade would have a much higher wind load?

The Wade doesn't seem that big at 4' diameter while the 91XG is 93" long.

The Wade must be comparable in size to a 4228 stack...?

Price- I believe the Wade is probably 3 to 4 times more the $$$ than the AD- but will probably last a lot longer...

Isn't it really worth it to go for the Wade?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Isn't it really worth it to go for the Wade?
Nah, the Wade is mostly for commercial installations. The 91XG, if properly mounted and maintained, will last a good long time. Also note the 17 dbi figure is at the old channel 75 range.

http://www.wade-antenna.com/Wade/uhfparabolic.pdf

(the gain chart looks to be very similar to the 5 ft Lafayette Radio uhf parabola I used to have. IIRC, it was only about $20 in the early 70's heh.)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought Wade stopped making and selling those.
I think I've seen the Wade parabolic at cable bases (e.g., Shaw). I'll take a picture some day, but the set up is one parabolic and then a bunch of yagi or log periodic, sort of in a quad format in the same direction, but nothing super high. This got me thinking, if the cable company is using the Wade type parabolic, then it must be good.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
Their weight and tight beamwidth make them difficult for residential installation. You'd require a heavy duty rotor to manage it. Your typical Channel Master isn't going to rotate one of these! ;)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Something that has always cracked me up about Wade's model numbers for their colossal CATV head end parabolics is that they use the same "BB" as the U.S. Navy used for designating battleships! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts