Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these two antennas anywhere comparable?

The 91XG boasts a max gain of 16.7 while the Wade is 17- that's very close.

I wonder if one of these figures is more accurate?

The 91XG is a feather at 6.5 pounds, while the Wade is a chunky 25 pounds- big difference- would the Wade hold up on a standard tower? I take it the Wade would have a much higher wind load?

The Wade doesn't seem that big at 4' diameter while the 91XG is 93" long.

The Wade must be comparable in size to a 4228 stack...?

Price- I believe the Wade is probably 3 to 4 times more the $$$ than the AD- but will probably last a lot longer...

Isn't it really worth it to go for the Wade?

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Isn't it really worth it to go for the Wade?
Nah, the Wade is mostly for commercial installations. The 91XG, if properly mounted and maintained, will last a good long time. Also note the 17 dbi figure is at the old channel 75 range.

http://www.wade-antenna.com/Wade/uhfparabolic.pdf

(the gain chart looks to be very similar to the 5 ft Lafayette Radio uhf parabola I used to have. IIRC, it was only about $20 in the early 70's heh.)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought Wade stopped making and selling those.
I think I've seen the Wade parabolic at cable bases (e.g., Shaw). I'll take a picture some day, but the set up is one parabolic and then a bunch of yagi or log periodic, sort of in a quad format in the same direction, but nothing super high. This got me thinking, if the cable company is using the Wade type parabolic, then it must be good.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Their weight and tight beamwidth make them difficult for residential installation. You'd require a heavy duty rotor to manage it. Your typical Channel Master isn't going to rotate one of these! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.