Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up an Acutrac 22 Pro signal meter after trying one with an SD receiver in our trailer. It works fine with an SD receiver here in our home but when I hook it up to a 505 or the 630 I get no signal indication. Will this be normal? Anybody know why? I guess I could see the 2 cables into the 630 causing some type of problem but the 505 is a single cable. Appears like HD receivers are different as far as providing power to the meter???:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
RE:Acutrac 22 Pro

gzink Just wondering, were are you hooking up the meter to check the signal strength? If your at the LNB then it should be the same at the other end of cable too, unless cable has a fault.

·
Registered
14 Posts
RE:Acutrac 22 Pro

I have noticed that the lower end receivers allow the meter to work on power that is supplied to LNB. How long does your meter work on battery power? I am finding that the meter does crap out fairly fast on battery.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a meter with a not so good pack, knowingly, for a good price. Bought it because my trial worked on the receiver power and I thought it would work that way with any SD receiver. The pack has 3 bad cells in it so it reaches just over 7.3volts.
I want to use the receiver voltage to avoid getting a pack and trying to keep nimh's charged all the time.
I have experience with NIMH and RC modelling and their self-discharge is a pain, so I have converted to LIFE and LIPO packs in modelling. I may try to rig some power up like that, as the LIPO will hold their charge. 2 cell LIPO would be 8.4 volts fully charged so that would work and capacity could be 800-5000mah, whatever one wants to pay for. Or a DC power supply I guess.

Currently I can set up/use it in the trailer with an SD receiver and then plug in an HD if I feel like it I guess.
My mistake in assuming if one receiver works all models of receiver will work.
Know why the new ones don't??

I was trying it out to use in the trailer and planned to possibly take the 505 with me next time. Trailer(and tv an receiver) was left 1500 miles away due to "snow in the passes" after the last holiday so I wanted to check that I have things that work when I go to get it on a mini holiday.
Thanks for the response. Any other tidbits welcome! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
on-road aiming

I have both the sd & hd receivers & have found that many times I can dial in the dish with a good sd reading, but the hd channels aren't there. I usually dial in with the sd receiver, check the hd receiver around FOX east or west & continue tuning until the picture comes in. Those seem to be the most troublesome channels to get. I don't use a meter anymore as I have got pretty good at aiming it now. It usually takes no more than 5 minutes to get the birds. I am currently in posession of 2 directv slimline dishes with backmount brackets & will be experimenting @ home. A short test on the road found that the *choice lnb/arm velcroed to the top of the slimline arm gave me a 55% signal on their larger dish. More experiments will have to wait until I get home. If you have a chance to score the above mentioned dishes for free or cheap, there might be some good use for them in the future. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have noticed that the lower end receivers allow the meter to work on power that is supplied to LNB. How long does your meter work on battery power? I am finding that the meter does crap out fairly fast on battery.
I have now rigged an external wire lead(drilled a hole, put a grommet in, soldered the original lead to another) and hook it up to LIPOLY 2 cell pack (2200mah). Did it just because, but now if I need to use power I will use one of my hobby LIPO packs. 2200mah will last longer than the original 600mah pack. Also LIPOLY don't slowly lose charge like the original NIMH while stored.
So anybody could convert to a LIPO pack(from China $9), 2 cell(7.4V nominal), buy a $30 charger for them. The only thing I noticed when I disassembled the pack is they have a "circuit breaker" inline but I just won't turn on power until all connections are made, otherwise I could remove the breaker and solder it on the new leads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts