Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I determine if a receiver is free of any funds owing and can me added to my account?

·
Registered
554 Posts
The Shaw Direct basic receiver cost $150; the PVR cost $300

I would not buy a used PVR because hard drives are mechanical wonders that have a life expectancy and are subject to unexpected ills, like organic beings.

I might sell or buy a basic receiver from a close friend with regard to switching ownership with Shaw Direct. I would not sell or buy from a stranger.

Dick Caveat The Emperor

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
I would not buy a used PVR because hard drives are mechanical wonders that have a life expectancy and are subject to unexpected ills, like organic beings.
Hard drives can fail but power supplies are just as likely to fail and, electrical spikes or surges can damage other components. The questions to ask are, how old is the PVR and how easily and cheaply can the hard drive be replaced?

Depending on the make and model, hard drives typically last about 3 to 5 years with continuous use. If the PVR is a refurb, the hard drive may have already been replaced. Hard drives in the 630 or 830 are relatively cheap, under $100, and easy to replace. It may be advantageous to replace the hard drive immediately in order to upgrade it with a larger model that is suited to video applications and has a good warranty.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
That's if the drive fails. You might want to do a preemptive upgrade of the drive, especially with 630 units. The first thing I did after receiving my 630 was put in a 1TB drive for extra recording time. If the unit fails for some other reason, put the original hard drive in before shipping back.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I bought an HD receiver online 18 months ago for $40. When I met the guy at Timmy's, I realized it was a 630. I told him "It's worth more than $40". He said "I just want to be rid of it". Didn't ask why but it's been working fine ever since. I guess I lucked out.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have bought used receivers, shaw and shaw direct including pvr's and I do not remember any failures. I have sold older tech to others. Saved myself hundreds of dollars. Well worth it. Nowadays they pretty well give you the stuff though.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
It's better most of the time to buy used. A lot of the stuff being sold by Shaw and the other BDUs is used anyway. A lot of the time they don't even say it's used but sell it as new at new prices. They may say it's refurbished but all that means is they plugged it in to make sure it works, wiped off the fingerprints and then put it in a new box with new cables and remote control.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's if the drive fails. You might want to do a preemptive upgrade of the drive, especially with 630 units. The first thing I did after receiving my 630 was put in a 1TB drive for extra recording time. If the unit fails for some other reason, put the original hard drive in before shipping back.
1TB drive - what make is it? Thanks

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
I think it was a 2.5" Seagate Blue drive. The name seems to have been changed to Barracuda Compute. There isn't much choice in 1TB 2.5" drives. Any major brand general purpose drive should work. If available, surveillance video drives are probably the best bet due to optimization for video and longer warranties.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts