Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 913 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Activating non-Shaw Set Top Boxes (Effective: March 7, 2008 it is no longer possible)

Edit by 57 - Please read the following summary post on "how to" activate an outside STB - No longer allowed - see admin note below.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=632891&postcount=692

I just bought a "brand new" 6412 from a legitimate seller on ebay. The box just arrived and was in immaculate condition (even still had the lcd protective stickers on).

Anyway, I called up Shaw and gave them the GI number. Once it was added to their system, they tried sending information to the box. It was supposed to turn off and it didnt. They claimed they were unable to make a connection. I reconfirmed the GI number and made sure it was connected directly to the wall.

ADMIN NOTE:

On page 54 of this thread members and some members who know some Shaw employees are saying that Shaw will no longer activate non-Shaw boxes. Start reading around Post #803

They said it might be my cables that are not configured for the service but the tech wont be stopping by for another few days. I am worried that it might be the box. It powers on correctly and displays "one moment please". The remote that came with it said "comcast" on it. Is it possible that the box was activated already in the software that was downloaded is not compatible. (or something)

Anyone have any idea what could cause this problem?

NOTE: I used to recieve standard digital cable just fine. Isnt it the same for the high def? Seems like its probably not the connection.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
You will need to contact someone at Shaw who knows how to configure a STB that was not obtained from them or an authorized distributor - probably a supervisor. They will need to "wipe" the old firmware and put on their firmware.

I'm not sure if Shaw will even do this, but I know that some cable companies will, others will not.

We discussed this issue in the following thread (posts 4, 5, 6). I have no idea why you are "surprised" by this.

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25238

·
Registered
505 Posts
My previous digital box (a really old one) was originally purchased from Shaw. When we moved to an area that wasn't serviced by Shaw, I had the new cable company add it to their system. Recently we moved back to Shaw and they were able to add it back into the Shaw system.

Perhaps the process with a 6412 is different from the box that I have (or even impossible), but in theory it would seem to be possible.

Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They were able to add it to their system no problem.

The problem was the actual downloading of data. They sent their signal to the box and it would not respond.

What worries me is the fact I didnt buy it from them or any official retail outlet. They seemed pretty interested in how I came into posession of this unknown box. As if they wouldnt even look at it if it was purchased from the states.

Maybe there is a way to completely reset the box myself? Shaw was pretty clear on the phone that they dont support outside hardware.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[UPDATED] Strange problem: 6412 will not communicate with Shaw

Thanks for the link, I found the button sequence but I still am having trouble.

So I now know how to get to the boot menu. I have a few options (hunt, cold, n dl, etc). When I select 'n dl', it flashes "hunt" on the display and then eventually times out. Is this the window where the tech is supposed to try and contact the box?

Is there some other option I am supposed to select in order to wipe the box, or do I just enter "n dl" mode and then let the CSR do the rest of the work?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
One of the "regular" CSRs is probably not going to be able to help you. You're going to need to find a "second level" or "technical" CSR to assist.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'd be contacting the seller and ask for a replacement or refund, why keep wasting your time and Shaws on something the does not work?

Whats the history on the box you were sold?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already talked to a tech that specializes in HD boxes. He did not give me any info about resetting. He just set up a service call.

I always seem to find out a lot more relevant information on these forums. I thought someone might have had experience in wiping their own unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
American 6412 and Shaw

I am having the same problem with my Comcast 6412 and Shaw. After confirming that any 6412 would work with Shaw, I bought one from the States. (I figured 200 bucks was worth the risk) I had all the serial numbers and Shaw added the box to their system no problem. I did a factory reset and watched it download for about 1 hour. But when it was done...still no picture. Now whats the next step? Do I need a reboot from Shaw's end? Is there anyone out there who was successful in getting their Comcast box to work with Shaw? Tech support at Shaw is useless.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
try an exchange

Well not sure about the technical side, but have you tried to just exchange the box at the shaw office? I've have swapped modems with them in the past several times and never had an issue. Just say its not working right and there is no picture, they dont need to know its not from them. Its worth the try!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought about that now that the machine is "in their system" but i've raised such a stink about the machine not working after they told me it would that I better wait a couple of weeks for them to forget about me. In the mean time I've havent given up on making this thing work.

·
Registered
577 Posts
FWIW, and try this at your own risk, a Shaw csr recently told me that to re-initialize the box you need to do the following sequence:

Box off
Select
replay x 3 (i.e. three times)
my dvr x 3
live x 3

I can't vouch for this guy's knowledge, and I haven't had to try this myself, but this is what he told me. If you can't get your box working any other way, then this might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Buyer Beware - Comcast 6412's are stolen

It has been mentioned on these forums before, but it looks like a reminder is needed. Very few cable companies have 6412's for sale... Shaw is one of the few exceptions.

Comcast only rents these boxes to their customers. If you see someone selling a Comcast 6412 you can be pretty sure it is a stolen unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Allright...after all the speculations and inputs from different sources (none of them SHAW i am sad to say) I finally got this thing to work so I can vouch that IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET AN AMERICAN COMCAST PVR 6412 TO WORK ON SHAW DIGITAL CABLE. I will add that I live in SASKATCHEWAN. I had to piece the process from different sources so I'll put ALL the steps here for the next guy:

1. Buy a COMCAST MOTOROLA 6412 (ABOUT 150US$...you're allready ahead 500CAN$) I cant vouch for any other kind.

2. Tell SHAW to add your machine to your account. You'll need ALL 3 serial numbers on the machine. UA, CN and GI numbers. If you dont have those numbers on your machine...cant help you...might be used or stolen.

3. Do a total factory reset. This is from a previous post #17. "Hold down the Power and Menu buttons, while continuing to hold them down, remove power to the box, keep holding them down for 45 seconds, keep holding them down and put power back to the box. Now you should see BOOT in the front panel. This is the boot menu, use the channel up/dn to find the n/dl or some other similar indication, make sure you are connected to the cable, hit "select" this should trigger a new download from SHAW to map the channels and update your firmware with theirs." This took about 1 hour for me so be patient. When its done the machine will turn off.

4. At this stage when I turned the TV and PVR back on all I got was "this channel should be available shortly" screen.

5. Leave everything on. Call SHAW and ask them to reset your machine. The PVR will reset and turn off. Turn it back on and voila...

It seems to me a little grainy but I'll play around with it for a bit...I am using 480i and component cables and 47 inch Panasonic HDTV ready TV.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
technut said:
On the underside of your 6412 is it labelled a model "6412 / 2000" (like the Shaw ones)? I seem to recall someone saying the 2000 has something to do with the frequency used to communicate with the controller.
Found the post I was thinking of, but it only has the codes for older DCT models:
http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83582&postcount=2

From my research I did discover that Comcast is distributing 6412/2000 and 6412/2005 subcodes. Don't know what the difference is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ranaman said:
Allright...after all the speculations and inputs from different sources (none of them SHAW i am sad to say) I finally got this thing to work so I can vouch that IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET AN AMERICAN COMCAST PVR 6412 TO WORK ON SHAW DIGITAL CABLE. I will add that I live in SASKATCHEWAN. I had to piece the process from different sources so I'll put ALL the steps here for the next guy:

1. Buy a COMCAST MOTOROLA 6412 (ABOUT 150US$...you're allready ahead 500CAN$) I cant vouch for any other kind.

2. Tell SHAW to add your machine to your account. You'll need ALL 3 serial numbers on the machine. UA, CN and GI numbers. If you dont have those numbers on your machine...cant help you...might be used or stolen.

3. Do a total factory reset. This is from a previous post #17. "Hold down the Power and Menu buttons, while continuing to hold them down, remove power to the box, keep holding them down for 45 seconds, keep holding them down and put power back to the box. Now you should see BOOT in the front panel. This is the boot menu, use the channel up/dn to find the n/dl or some other similar indication, make sure you are connected to the cable, hit "select" this should trigger a new download from SHAW to map the channels and update your firmware with theirs." This took about 1 hour for me so be patient. When its done the machine will turn off.

4. At this stage when I turned the TV and PVR back on all I got was "this channel should be available shortly" screen.

5. Leave everything on. Call SHAW and ask them to reset your machine. The PVR will reset and turn off. Turn it back on and voila...

It seems to me a little grainy but I'll play around with it for a bit...I am using 480i and component cables and 47 inch Panasonic HDTV ready TV.
Dude, you should give credit where credit is due. I read your neutral feedback for your 6412 purchase on eBay saying that your box wasn't compatible with your cable system. I took the time to contact you (and provide you with the instructions that you cut and pasted above) so that you could use your box for something other than a doorstop and you didn't even email a thank-you. Instead you just posted "your" results on the forum. That's brutal. Hope you're enjoying your TV, but man, a thank-you would have been appreciated. :rolleyes:
boogerman54321 aka sully812

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
damn, i wish I had read your post earlier. I think I messed around with the boot menu a few too many times because now I get stuck in a "hunt" loop everytime I plug it in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fair enough. But I cant keep track of all your different names. Sorry I vexed your ego. I didnt take credit for reinventing the wheel here. I just wanted to post a straight forward answer to setting-up the box. Something I've yet to find anywhere.

1 - 20 of 913 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.