Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experience problems trying to get an open NAT with Xbox live and the Actiontec? I have tried opening the application ports and putting the xbox in the DMZ, but its still showing as "moderate".

·
Banned
548 Posts
Why do you need this 'opening'. X-box works fine on an out of box, unmodified Actiontec. I install them that way every week. You shouldn't need to modify your NAT firewall for an X-box to work correctly.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am getting the "moderate nat" warning error when matchmaking in black ops. When I have had this in previous games/router configurations it has meant issues with matchmaking and communications until the ports used by live were opened.

To your point though, aside from the warning it seems to be working.

·
Banned
548 Posts
If you've got your X-Box DMZed I can't see how you could make things any better. DMZ exposes all the ports of your X-box through the NAT to the internet. There shouldn't be any impediment now.

Can't see why you would get that notice. If you're on OptikTV it could be that the QoS is somehow affecting how the Black Ops server sees your connection. I haven't heard of that kind of issue previously though, so I can't say for sure. OptikTV QoS is very particular about high quantities of sustained data going outbound and will always ensure that the packets destined for or sent from STBs are given absolute priority.

Just as an experiment try connecting after all TVs are off and no recordings are taking place and see what you get for that rating. If it rises to better than moderate its most likely a QoS thing. The QoS is non-negotiable and is a value that can't be changed.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more thing to add to this. I have two XBOX 360's. The one on the main floor with Optik installed, I just tested the NAT and its fine. The second one gets the MODERATE NAT error when I run the test. I put it in a DMZ, have UPNP on and tried port forwarding and still have the issue. For the one upstairs, I didn't have to do anything and I get an open NAT. Both are wired.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its now resolved. I had another issue and the Telus tech had me do the factory reset on the router. After it was reset, both XBOXs connect with no NAT issues (without DMZ or ports opened)....

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is pretty funny stuff from the TELUS installer... I have to check my NAT settings every time I want to play Xbox online and regularly get a NAT error, and have to restore the firewall default settings to get rid of the NAT error. Now I've reset the firewall settings 6 times and it's still not resolving the NAT error. I would reboot the modem but I'm currently recording a program. It's pretty frustrating.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I had huge lag issues on xbox live with the actiontec, last couple firmware updates seemed to make my network worse, having to reset the actiontec often, prior to that I hadn't had to reset it since I got it
Bought a VDSL modem of craigslist haven't had a problem since set it up for telus, and haven't had a problem since

·
Registered
340 Posts
Last night my networked printer could not be found on my network and only resetting firewall settings fixed it. Then not even 20 minutes later my Harmony network remote wasn't recognized either and then resetting the firewall settings fixed that too. It's frustrating that I have to reset the settings before I can use my devices.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Not sure why telus to wants to mess with firmware so much. Like I said before I never had to reset my actiontec. Then it was almost daily. Anything connected to my unmanaged switch had a hard time find network drives connected to the actiontec. Ditched the actiontec for a Vyxel with factory firmware. Not a single issue since. But I don't have telus TV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts