Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was having issues with my Optik TV this week, Telus came and took care of it...They also gave me the new Actiontec modem as part of a regular replacement...I am wondering, however, if anyone has an instruction manual for it? The tech didn't have one with him...

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just looking for the setup information so I can customize my network (default IP, user and password)....I didn't have telus do it because I had my own router but I'm thinking of giving that one to my in-laws.

·
Banned
548 Posts
The information to access the Actiontec, includng the HTTP:// address and the username and password are on the label on the modem. The default WiFi network name (SSID) and key as well as a WPS PIN are also listed. The WiFi info is unique to every Actiontec so there's no real need to change it.

The Actiontec is not bridgeable and is only set for the 192.168.1.0 - 254 address range with the gateway @ 192.168.1.254.

If for any reason, you want to run your router behind the Actiontec, this is possible by setting the address range of your router to 172.16.0.0 range and then plugging it into the Actiontec (LAN port not WAN port), then determine your router's IP and MAC in the Actiontec's tables and set your router to DMZ in the actiontec. Now your router will be outside the Actiontecs firewall and you will have all of the features it had but you won't have any IP or DHCP conflicts. You can also turn off the WiFi in the actiontec at this time if you want to use the WiFi on your router.

There are no manuals or info you could download that I know of. Hope this helps.

- another TELUS tech

·
Banned
548 Posts
No, that will work fine too. As long as the address range is not in the same range as the Actiontec, which is 192.168.1.0-254

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
2 Posts
after using it for a while, i have noticed that yes the speed is increased. at the same time however, it seems like the actiontec doesnt handle many clients at once very well, or at least the way i have it set up. while browsing, once in a while it would seize up and not load (i have to manual refresh for it to load) and its a regular occurrence. i might try to get telus to get me a cellpipe modem so i dont have to deal with it and consistently suspect its because of the dual routing.

·
Banned
548 Posts
I doubt TELUS will. For Optik the ALU was only for placement infront of the D-link because the internal modem in the D-Link wasn't capable of VDSL2 service.

The Actiontec is now the only modem used for Optik and placement of an ALU is not required or supported.

If you look up my other post from today over in the Optik forum I have explained why this is no longer supported.

- another TELUS tech

1 - 9 of 9 Posts