Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning my (smallish) theatre room... 12'x15'.
Just wondering if anyone here has an input regarding acoustic wall panelling.
I already have the product (it is fabric panels by Decoustics), and I already know the design pattern I'm going to go with... However:
From past discussions with others, most people have told me that at a minimum, half the wall space (either 2 full adjacent walls or the bottom half of perimeter walls) is what is traditionally the minimum wall area required to be covered.
Does anyone here have any experience with covering the entire wall heights?
My screen's wall will have millwork cabinetry. Floor will be carpet, Ceiling is drywall, and I prefer to clad the 3 other walls completely with the panelling (for aesthetic reasons). I just want to know if this will yield the best results acoustically.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did some research online... looks like full acoustic cladding is not a viable option...

Here is my latest post on another forum, no answer from others there yet either:

I'm looking for simple advice for a simple small theatre room I'm starting in my basement.
I already have acoustic paneling, and just trying to figure out the ideal (and most attractive way) to clad the walls and still get good performance. I do however have some physical limitations.

Some stats:
- Room is 12' wide x 15' long. Ceiling height is only 7'-6"
- Sectional sofa (I do not like theatre chairs) will be right against the rear wall.
- System will be 7.1, screen will be 10' diagonal.
- Floor will be carpet. Ceiling drywall.

Here are my limitations:
- Sitting location will be right against rear wall due to smal size of room.
- Front wall will have custom cabinetry around and below the screen. I need this for function and I like the look. Therefore, acoustic paneling at the screen wall is not an option.

Looking around this thread and other online references, am I right in deducing that:
- Best paneling option would be for me to clad the side walls halfway up (i.e. to ear level)?

My questions:
- Since I can't clad the screen front wall: Should I be cladding the rear wall (right behind the sofa) all the way up to the ceiling?
- What speaker height is ideal? If at ear level, I kind of wanted to hide them behind the acoustic paneling (and cut out the foam at those spots to allow the sound through. My speakers are not in-wall, they're bookshelfs but will be placed inside recessed "boxes" within the wall partitions.
- Should I point all speakers to the centre seat area?
- Is the middle of the front wall the best place for the sub?

I would have liked to fully clad all the walls of the room (except the front one with the cabinetry), but from what's I'm reading, that sounds like a foolish decision because it would make the room too "dead" acoustically without enough sound refelction??!?!? Is this true?

·
Registered
233 Posts
No experience here yet but you don't want to create an anechoic chamber. Visit some higher end AV stores and look at their HT set up. You'll notice that panels are strategically placed.

Cinemas seem to be different and I'm guessing because of the number and array of speakers. You don't really want a lot of reflection in that space.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts