I just had one of those ideas that hit me so hard I got out out bed at 2:30 AM to post this. A question from a smartphone ignoramus. Warning; this may be stupid. The idea looks so obvious that I'm sure I'm missing something important somewhere, but here goes...
- I currently use 295.ca as my emergency internet backup (dialup), if DSL goes down.
- Assume I get a smartphone with 1000 or 2000 minutes per month AND NO DATA PLAN
- dialup modem goes over the VOICE signal (beep, chirp, squawk, etc), so it would count as VOICE USAGE, NOT DATA USAGE
- Can I call my dialup ISP on a cellular phone and connect to the net via them, using only voice service, rather than horrendously expensive data service?
- What am I missing?
- What are the greedy [email protected]#$ at the cellular carriers doing to block such a scheme? Cynical? Moi?