Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have the bell fibreOp router/modem in my basement and it works great.
I need more range upstairs so I connected the ethernet cable from the modem to my Dlink DIR645 and it works. I get internet upstairs and wifi works great.

My problem is that I need to plug my TV(digital box) into this router and when I do, my connection dies. I had this problem 8months ago when I got fibreOp but I had some issues in life so I never bothered writting the steps down.

So now I reset my router for many reasons but lost the settings that made everything work.

Who can help me out?

My router has wifi for about 5-7 device and ethernet for my ps3, server, TV box. :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
You need to turn off the router portion on the DIR645. If you are connecting LAN on the Action tech to LAN on the DIR645 it could be a DHCP server issue. If WAN to LAN, you are doing a NAT on top of another NAT that is not a good idea.

This is what I found on another message board:

- Connect a computer or laptop to your DIR-645 by itself
- Open internet explorer and type in 192.168.0.1
- Click setup and then wireless settings, manual wireless network setup and setup the wireless portion as desired
- Click network settings and change the LAN IP to an unused IP address on your network (ie 192.168.2.2) Gateway should be 192.168.2.1, sub-net mask 255.255.255.0 and if it asks for a DNS (probably will not) enter in 192.168.2.1
- Uncheck the Enable DHCP server box
- Save settings
- Connect the DIR-645 to your network or existing router. Connect the ethernet cable from LAN port to LAN port. Don't use the WAN/internet port on your DIR-645

That should get it going. Just remember the IP you set for the DIR645 so you can manage it in the future. All the routes and DCHP settings will get pushed from the Action tech this way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is pretty much what I had done without changing the IP. It still doesn't work. Possible dead router?

The last time I did this, there was some extra steps I found online. I just didn't write it down. :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would still change the IP address of the DIR645 so you can manage it. That way you can ping it from the Action tech side of the network and see if it responds. If it doesn't there is something wrong with the connection. If it cannot connect to the Action tech, devices on the DIR 645 and not going to get a DHCP lease. I would do a hard reset of the DIR 645 and re-config it.

There is also the off chance that the WAN may do auto cross over for switch to switch connects, but the LAN portion may not. Would be a long shot as most things do auto mdix. Could also be a bad patch cable/run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts