Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I reside in Red Deer, Alberta.

I am looking around for a television provider. My choices here are Shaw, Shaw Direct, Bell Satellite and Telus Satellite.

Do any of these providers have a PVR that will record a Series?

How far ahead do these providers let you search the guide?

A third question, I like the concept of the slingbox and slingcatcher. Are there any cheaper alternatives to this technology?

Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
17,247 Posts
Bell and Telus satellite are identical and support series recording.

Telus Optik TV is also available in Red Deer. You can check if it's available to your address on the Telus web site.

Optik TV supports series recording and has PVR Anywhere where you can record up to 3 shows simultaneously and watch them on any STB in your home.

If that's what you want to do with Slingbox, Optik TV can do that for no extra cost. Remote Recording is also available to control your PVR from an iPhone, certain Blackberries or a web-enabled PC. You can schedule recordings, check your schedules or delete existing recordings while you're away from home. You can't watch your PVR away from home.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Bell PVR allows you record a series with only new episodes or all episodes. Believe the guide is seven days.

A third question, I like the concept of the slingbox and slingcatcher. Are there any cheaper alternatives to this technology?
None that I am aware of but if its within your home, Telus Optik allows you to watch a recording in another room with a second box.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Bell PVR's guide lets you see appox. 8 days ahead. You can also search the guide by title or search the full info associated with a show (e.g. all shows with Harrison Ford).

With Bell's PVR you have three options for recording:
-"standard" recording lets you record a show at a specific time for a specific internal (e.g. record all epsidoes of Grey's Anatomy weekly on Thursdays at 9pm)...you can also further specify whether to record all episodes, or only new episodes; whether to record on a specific channel or let the PVR choose one; whether to record in HD or SD...the PVR will automatically adjust when the show changes time or length within 3 hours of its regularly scheduled time (e.g. if the 2 hour season premiere starts at 8pm the PVR will automatically start the recording early and record the full two hours).

-"name based recording", also called by Bell "VuPass" will have the PVR automatically search the guide for all show titles or show info for a specific search term (e.g. record all shows with "Greys Anatomy" in the title)...again, you can also further specify whether to record on a specific channel or let the PVR choose one; whether to record in HD or SD.

- I have a slingbox hooked up to my PVR and use it to watch remotely, whether on computer elsewhere in the house, when travelling, or often on my iPod Touch. I don't have and have never hooked it up to a slingcatcher for watching on another TV elsewhere in the house...if this is your primary purpose, another option would be a wireless audio/video sender (The Source sells them for around $100)...of course, using a splitter and running a cable to the second TV will give you the best picture. On this front, from what other have written here, Telus Optik sounds interesting...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Telus Sat. series recording does not work too well for sports events that repeat, though. Id say it doesnt work at all for that. For regular TV shows at the same time each week/day it works very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts