1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thats very cool, but why not call it ABC Family, would they not want to do that because of the Family channel? Im not a big fan of the name ... ABC Spark doesn't appeal to me.. also I noticed on Wikipedia that their seems to be only the 480i for Picture format ... is this going to be ANOTHER channel where it does not debut with a HD simulcast?! but thanks for the post Hugh :)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Family Channel is a different station owned by Astral. Corus would not want to advertise ABC Family and then have everyone tune into Astral's Family channel and wonder where the programs were.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree, ABC Family would be too confusing for viewers. Keep it as ABC Spark. Besides if they attempt to use the "Family" brand, Astral could claim copyright infringement and launch a lawsuit.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW, I think ABC Spark is a really crappy name. You think they could have come up with something better!

·
Registered
522 Posts
abc family (in the US) used to be called family channel, which was started by televangelist Pat Robertson. it was bought by Disney, which slapped on the abc label to differentiate from the previous regime. not sure why corus wants to include abc in its new channel name. why not just call it spark? the abc in this case is totally unnecessary and potentially misleading.

·
Registered
488 Posts
fox actually bought it from Pat Robertson and named the channel fox family before selling it to Disney

and they have to keep the family in there name it was a stipulation in the original sale to fox

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the idea of using the "ABC" in the name is that there is a closer association between "ABC Family" and "ABC Spark" than between "ABC Family" and "Spark". They want people to know that when something airs on "ABC Family" in the US, the first place they should look for it in Canada is on "ABC Spark".

·
Registered
577 Posts
Actually, it started as the "CBN Satellite Service", then the "CBN Cable Network", "The CBN Family Channel", then "The Family Channel" (when it got spun off to Pat's son), then "Fox Family" then "ABC Family"

·
Registered
437 Posts
Likewise, if "Family Channel" (Canada) renames to "Disney Channel Canada"
then you would be able to have "ABC Family".

Also, they are "launching" in 26 days, and they still haven't mentioned
which providers are carrying them.

·
Registered
488 Posts
it will most likely be carried on every provider that has dusk since that is closing down a few days before there launch

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Then it'll stay there until providers change their packages around. But realistically it'd hardly be the first time a channel made no sense for the package it was in. I swear most of Bell Aliant's packages are designed that way deliberately.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The ABC Spark Canada Facebook Page gave details on channel numbers on March 8th for towns/cities within the Shaw network. There was no mention of package details that I could find.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
@jeffaustin90

I didn't say it will be in packages, I said it might be.

I can't speak about other providers, but Rogers "might" put it in the "movies package"

For Rogers Subs:

Fox Sports is being dropped, Wild TV is replacing it in the Sports package, and Wild TV presently is a Pick only channel right now.

F/X Canada is replacing Dusk in the movies package on Rogers on the dates those stations shut down.(info see Rogers Bills-Bulletin board)

F/X Canada isn't a "Movie Channel" yet its going in that package March 23 on Rogers.

So anything possible. I'm not saying 100% it will be just maybe.

·
Registered
166 Posts
@MCIBUS technically, it airs movies every day (or tries to), that would be counted as a "movie channel". Unless you mean like a subscription movie channel or something.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts