Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple today announced that all four of the major U.S. networks are offering primetime programs in high definition on the iTunes Store, including viewer favorites “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Lost” from ABC, “CSI” and “CSI: Miami” from CBS, “Bones” and “Prison Break” airing on FOX, and “Heroes” and “The Office” from NBC Universal.

The iTunes Store is now the world’s most popular online TV store with over 200 million TV episodes sold, including more than one million HD episodes purchased since the launch of HD programming on iTunes last month.

And to answer your question: Canadians are out of luck

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Standard definition television shows on the iTunes Store are $1.99 per episode, while HD programs from ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX are $2.99 per episode. Many series will offer a season pass option that allows customers to purchase entire seasons at a discounted price.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I always wondered.... Why is it that CTV for example which has some of it's Canadian made shows on itunes, doesn't offer its American Programming on iTunes to own, but they do own the rights to show it online on there site.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect that now that the Big 4 are doing it, then CTV and Global won't be far behind.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Are these TV shows actually being sold, or are they rentals?... as in are there any DRM constraints that limit number of playbacks or for how long the episodes can be played back for, e.g. Apple's FairPlay wrapper? Anybody know how large a 1 hour HD show form iTunes would be? I understand that they are equivalent to compressed 720P in terms of PQ, but I have no idea about the AQ.

I'm wondering about the economics of this for the end-user.
  • If you purchase an entire season on Blu-ray then you have to pay anywhere from $50 to 100 but have to wait for the season to come out on disc. But you have the physical media to view over again, or use in a second player.
  • Downloading you get the show quickly after it is aired, but still need to pay for internet bandwidth. If you are downloading a lot of HD tv shows/week you're going to run through bandwidth allocation quickly. But right now, most people pay for way more bandwidth than they need.
  • But how does it weigh in against using a BDU supplied HD PVR? A PVR purchase or rental is expensive, but so is a computer needed to download HD files. So the comparison is the cost/month of downloading TV show compared to paying a BDU for them.

If you're only interested in watching a couple of show it might be worth it. Clearly anyone downloading HD videos for viewing on an ipod is wasting their money.

just some ramblings :)

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
If you wait for shows to come out on Blu-Ray or DVD, you are better off.

The Canadian store doesn't really have the best pricing for purchasing an entire season of a show.

The US store on the other hand has fairly competative pricing on many full season sets.

Hugh,

I will bet that we wont see HD shows anytime soon except for maybe the crappy Canadian ones from CTV and CBC. Global doesn't even have SD shows available from iTunes.

IMO, the iTunes store is total crap for TV shows. They have a pretty decent selection of movies and music BUT the TV Shows selection just stinks, plain and simple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts